New TV suggestions...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevinkall, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I'm looking to buy a new TV in a month or so. I'm looking to spend between $1000-$1200. I'm interested in getting a widescreen HDTV. Here's a few that I've looked at...

Philips 30" Widescreen HD-Ready Flat-Tube TV with Active Control

Samsung 30" Widescreen DynaFlat HD-Ready TV with Light-Touch Front-Panel Controls

Toshiba 30" HD-Ready Flat-Tube TV with 2-Tuner Picture-in-Picture and DVI Interface - Silver

I'm mostly interested in getting another TUBE tv. I will use this TV for 80% dvds/20% digital cable, while my girlfriend will use it for 80% digital cable/20% dvds. Any suggestions? THANKS!

2. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I can only give my experience with the Philips, and I didn't really comparison shop other than price. So take my experience for what it's worth.
    I have also been impressed with Philips of late, they really have taken a big chunk of the market.
    I was upgrading from an early 90's RCA, with no audio/video ins or outs except for the standard 75 ohm coax. (anything could beat that) The tube was doin' all sorts of funny stuff,we decided to invest in something a little nicer and future ready.
    I brought it home last week and have driven my wife nuts by messin around and tweeking all the settings and connections.
    The picture is very nice and ultra sharp. We haven't invested in an HD tuner yet, only have digital dish, but still far better than anything I've experienced to this point. This unit really shines though, when you play dvd's,
    the visual reproduction is amazing... I hooked everything up one night and then went to bed, went to work the next day and came home to Jimmy Neutron and my daughters sitting slack-jawed on the floor absorbed, and it didn't take long for me to figure out why, the animation was almost 3-D.
    and everything I do to mess with it only improves.

sorry for the length, good luck

3. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Thanks Kevin! I've heard ALOT of good things about Phillips TV's lately.

Any other suggestions? Should I avoid a TUBE and go with RP?

4. John S

John S Producer

I love my new Philips as well.. But it is a CRT RPTV.

5. Tom Scholfield

Tom Scholfield Stunt Coordinator

I am also thinking about the Phillips, The toshiba has Crystal Scan which upconverts all signals to 1080i, is that worth the extra 300 dollars?

6. John S

John S Producer

Tom, it may be worth it.....

But only if you can really see that difference. It may be hard to get a Brick and Mortor to allow you to even view that in action.

7. Tom Scholfield

Tom Scholfield Stunt Coordinator

Yea I know what you mean, I hate sales people at retail stores, half of them do not even know what I am talking about.

8. oryan_dunn

oryan_dunn Agent

The Philips sets do one of two things with regular tv. Either they will convert every thing to a progressive signal or they will line double up to 1050i (NTSC 525 x2). I have switched between both and only notice a difference if I am looking closely. Progressive will make stationary images appear more stable and not so "flickery" and 1050i mode will make motion slightly better especially in respect to the edges of objects where jagged lines are visible.