NEW TV Series Direct to DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jan 25, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

This is something I've been wondering for a while now, ever since the Adds seem to have taken priority over the shows. You know, those annoying split screen adds over the credits. Syndicated s hows getting 7 minutes chopped out for more commercials. Or, even worse with Nickelodian, little Jimmy nuetrons going all over the picture as one giant add for a minute or so.

So, here's the question. Could TV shows survive by going direct to DVD, and avoiding first runs on TV all together? Put the series out as a two hour pilot movie. If it sells good, then order 13 episodes to be put out on a seasonal box set. If those are popular, continue untill sales start to drift off.

When enough seasons back up, sell syndication rigts to local channels to help make up price differences. This would have many advantages. A Full 30 minutes of programing, isntead of 22 with commercials included. No network execs making midnless changes, etc...

What would be the pro's and cons of doing this?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

A TV show would have to see hundreds of thousands of copies in order to be successful going to DVD only. There's just no way.

Syndication rights are reportedly severely diluted if the entire show is readily available on video. Basically forget it. The current system of showing it on HBO/Showtime and it coming to DVD within a year of airing is the fastest it gets

3. Michael Taylor

Michael Taylor Stunt Coordinator

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Every TV show that comes on DVD is straight-to-video as far as I'm concerned- I quit watching broadcast TV when the onscreen logos started, I find them simply unwatchable with them on.