What's new

new tv question.. (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

I have a home theater room and am looking to get a 16:9 direct view tv. I have only come up with one series of tv that interest me. This is the sony xbr 910 30-34 inch tv's. Anyone have any opinions on another comparable brand. These sets look awesome. My room size is 11.5x9.5 feet.

Thanks,
jeff

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The super fine dot pitch tube on the xbr 910 gives it more horizontal resolution than any other direct view set of it's size in the industry according to a review I found on The Perfect Vision's website. The reviewer flat out states it's the best direc-view HD ready set on the market.
It has 1401 horizontally measured aperture grille slots vs about 1000 shadow mask slots for most competing brands of 34" crt, or 852 horizontal pixels for a 32" plasma (1024 for a 42" plasma) or 1280 for 30-37" LCD panels.

In this particular case there's good reason why it's more expensive than the competition. One of my coworkers just bought one and is ecstatic.

Thanks for the info. Now concerning my small room size, should I get the 30 or 34 inch set? I know there are rules for viewing distances, but given the limited space are those extra few inches really going to matter?

Thanks,
jeff

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Get the bigger one. I've seen time and time again people advising shoppers to get the larger one, as people who decided with the smaller one regretted not getting the larger one.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
What Nick said!! It would help if you posted your expected viewing distance rather than the overall size of the room, but the bigger 34" model will be ok from as close as 6 or 8 feet.

I sit 13 feet from the screen. My first HD-ready set was a 53" Hitachi widescreen, which I returned for various pq issues. I swapped up to a 57" Sony widescreen, and think I could easily get away with a 65" model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks