New TV, now what?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RobBecker, Feb 6, 2006.

1. RobBecker

RobBecker Auditioning

Friday I decided to finally bite the big bullet and pick up a new TV. I had done some research and thought I was ready to buy the new Sony SXRD. After looking around some more I got sold on the Mitsubishi WD-62927. Watching the superbowl last night in HD was amazing. We don't get ABC/FOX in HD through our cable provider so I picked up a $10 antenna and it worked wonderfully.

So, here's the first question. Calibration. Has anyone calibrated one of these TVs? Any "standard" settings that work well or should I get the filters, DVDs and all of that stuff and do it myself?

Also, any tips and tricks for this TV? I know it's got a lot of bells and whistles, I'm slowly learning them.

-Rob

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

If you go to the very first thread in this forum section you will see an announcement by Gregg Loewen. He's an ISF calibrator and I know that he works on Mitsubishis among many others. E-mail him or call him with any questions.

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Gregg's message is here.

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Don't know anything about that TV but there are a couple DVD's on the market that will let you do a pretty good job on your own.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No, you need to align your display and system individually, using Avia or DVE. Or, have a professional do a more thorough alignment including grayscale as Robert suggested. Even if you call in a pro, it is always a good idea to have Avia or DVE in any case.

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Another "starter" option that is now out there is the new Monster/ISF Calibration Wizard DVD that offers a very simple basic calibration that is actually a lot better than I thought it would be. I purchased this one out of curiosity (I do that with a lot of DVDs [​IMG] ) and was thinking that I would share it with my non-tech friends who are purchasing HD sets. While I'm not claiming that it is a substitute for AVIA or DVE, there is actually a very straight-forward approach to some basic calibration (brightness, color, sharpness, color, etc.) for the layman. Effective and, I estimate, it will get a person to at least the 90% level of a properly calibrated set painlessly.

Here's a link to some information about this disc along with some comments from people in the industry.

Not exactly a full ISF calibration, but something that I would recommend as an excellent starting point. When I change inputs or other parameters I use it to make basic settings very quickly. Nicely done!

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Note that AFAIK the Monster calibration disc does NOT contain test patterns. [​IMG]

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Yes, you "AFAIK" correctly, Chris. Notice that I didn't claim that the Monster/ISF disc is a substitute for AVIA or DVE in my previous post and this was one of the reasons. What the Monster/ISF disc does is provide a sort of "Calibration For Dummies" approach to getting your display into the ballpark, and some fairly good seats at that. And I don't mean that in any disrespectful way since the whole process can take less than a minute once you know the layout of the disc. I use it myself for some quick adjustments when I have changed a source on an input when I don't have the time, nor the desire to go through all the test patterns for adjustments. I also have access to a lot of very nice test patterns via my DVD0 iScan VP30 so I can even do a lot of the more serious stuff "diskless" if I get the urge.

I wouldn't give the Monster/ISF a thumbs down for the lack of Test patterns. It just becomes another tool for those who want a rather clever set of videos to make display adjustments. Sometimes you just want to know the time of day and don't want to know how the watch works before getting the information.

[​IMG]

Take care.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yes I did see that you mention it is not a replacement, but just the same as I recommend that one avoid THX optimode disc patterns, I would recommend against using the Monster disc. The point behind calibration is to align a display and playback system to properly render known quantities to standards so that things are imaged correctly. While I could see video assisting in some ways with say black and white level adjustments, it is nearly impossible to deal with color saturation and balance issues or sharpness, gamma, etc using video scenes.

I'm not so much disagreeing with your points, rather, I fear that readers may think it is appropriate to calibrate their display using video content as opposed to properly encoded test patterns as the starting point.

10. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Chris,

I agree with your statements regarding true calibration and I wasn't suggesting that any disc without test patterns and proper instrumentation can perform a full calibration. The Monster/ISF disc is really intended to assist in, as you noted, black and white level adjustments (which are probably its strongest points) and a little bit with color intensity and sharpness (although those are a lot more subjective than the black and white levels). There's also a section involving aspect ratios and framing (using a variety of billiard equipment) that might actually teach some people that cue balls are not oval. [​IMG]

Obviously, color saturation, gamma, etc. are best left to more scientific approaches and that's not the intention of this disc. The one danger, of course, is that some people might think that the Monster/ISF disc is a substitute for an ISF calibration or similar, which it clearly is not. But for those people who would never consider an ISF calibration (for whatever reason, there are people who won't be convinced to spend the money) at least this gives them a chance at improving their image with a little help from the videos. And the way that the material is presented is a lot more user-friendly than the THX OptiMode stuff so those people might actually understand it.