New TV not happy with DVD play

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Travis_R, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Travis_R

Travis_R Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a new mitsubisht 42 inch HDTV, model WT-42313
    ok, I knew I wasnt going to have the same picture quality on my sattelite receiver at home as they did at the store as my receiver is not an HD sattelite receiver, just dont feel like spending the extra 500 bucks on one right now.......however I thought that my DVD playback would be astoundingly better than my old tv, it is a bit better but I expected a better picture than what I have. I am thinking that my DVD player is not up to par, it was a christmas gift so i didnt research it and dont have much info on its capabilities, its a Pioneer SD-K510, I think its a lower quality DVD player, I am using the S-video cable, I was using the 3 seperate video cables but it looked no different to me than the S-video, which is better to use??, I am not that worried about my TV broadcast bieng HD but I do want my DVD's to look their absolute best, what do I need to do, buy a different DVD player, some kind of filter or something, any help, opinoins, answers are appreciated, thanks in advance for your help. also the TV has 480i and 1080i video formats, im using 480i, not really sure what the difference is or which one is better.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Travis,

Go into the setup menu for the dvd player and tell it you have a 16/9 tv. On the tv select "Full" for the aspect ratio. Get a copy of AVIA or Video Essentials and calibrate the tv.

Use the component video cables (3 separate cables) and use good ones, don't use S-video. Set the tv for 480p when watching dvds, and turn on the 3/2 pulldown (sometimes called "film mode" or "movie mode"--your set's owner's manual will tell you how to do this).

3. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

480i..not good...a progressive scan player is a must on bigger tvs...my 55" mitsu on 480i wasn't the greatest either..clicked the denon 1600 PS, and wala..nice picture[​IMG] mitsu makes a great tv...you'll be happy....grab avia and calibrate it...you can even get avia home theater tune up...I use it, and it works great. tom

4. Travis_R

thanks for the tips...one problem though, i cannot figure out how to get it to 480p or 1080i, i have gone through the menus, looked in the manual, but still cannot get it off of 480i, all i can do is shuffle it through 480i standard, streched and so one......what gives?

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

You need to confirm that the DVD player is a progressive scan unit ...

If it doesn't say so in the literature ... then it ain't one.

Regards

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Travis_R

yeah i think it is a Toshiba, my mistake. ok so I need to get a DVD player with progressive scan I take it? I am guessing that the TV is reading the signal that is coming through and will automatically adjust it to 480p or 1080i? also what exactly is the defintion of the three 480i 480p and 1080i just out of curiousity. Thanks so much for your help

8. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

480i is 480 lines of resolution INTERLACED

480p = 480 lines of resolution PROGRESSIVE

1080i = 1080 lines of res. INTERLACED.

If you need an explaination of the difference b/w interlaced and progressive I'll let some others explain. Or do a search on google.

9. Travis_R

Thanks everyone for you help.

10. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Some other things to check:

1) Make sure your DVD player is set to 16:9 format. THis is available in the setup menu. If you changed it over from a 4:3 tv, it is probably set to 4:3. This will cause havoc with the aspect ratio and the resolution of the picture.

2) Once you get the DVD all set, switch the viewing mode on teh Mits to "Full". This will allow full resolution of anamorphic disks.