New TV, New Hookup Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg W L, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Greg W L

Greg W L Agent

Just replaced my old old 27" TV with one of the new Sony 32" flatscreens, and want to ensure that I am correctly hooked up to my receiver and DVD player. I finally have both component and S video connections. I have a Toshiba DVD that has S video and Component out, and I have a Marantz 5200 receiver. It does not have Component inputs, only S Video. Should I hook up the DVD through the receiver with the S Video, and then the S video to the TV, or should I go direct with the Component to the TV? Any advantages/disadvantages either way? Also what should I do with my VCR, which does not have S video? I use the VCR for time shifting mostly, but also to watch some of the old VHS tapes of my daughters.

I used to know how this all worked, but haven't had to do any wiring for a year or so. Help please?

Also, my new TV (Sony KV-32FS100) does not have any space to put a centre channel on top? What do most people do?

Thanks in advance

2. David-TF

David-TF Agent

I would hook the dvd directly to tv using component video,
    picture quality is much better. Is placing your center channel below tv an option?

3. Greg W L

Greg W L Agent

Thanks for the info. The centre channel has now been relocated, I had to put it higher (lower not an option), but have tilted it toward the listening area.

Right now I have the DVD going through the receiver. Is there any disadvantages to not going through the receiver?

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Greg,