New TV made arcing sound (32HS500)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark Hedges, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Hello!

My Sony 32HS500 was delivered yesterday, and after using it for about an hour I heard an arcing sound and the picture flashed off for an instant. It seems to be working fine afterwards. Is this something I should be worried about?

Could it be related to my center channel speaker (JBL S-Center II). It doesn't seem to be shielded adequatly since it is causing a purple discoloration at the top center of my screen. Could this be causing damage?

Thanks!

Mark

2. Adam Brandner

Adam Brandner Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if that's what's causing the problem, but I'd move that speaker ASAP. A few years back, I had a pair of heavy duty stereo speakers next to my entertainment center that caused permanent discoloration to the left side of my TV. I wasn't aware of what magnets could do to televisions at the time. Try mounting that center channel under the TV or a little higher above on a shelf or something.

3. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I was talking to a tech at Best Buy and he said that the TV may have auto degaussed. Does anybody know if Sony Wegas do this during operation? I know they do it upon startup. It makes sense as I am having a problem with my center channel speaker.

Mark

4. Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

-TV's degauss upon turn on (on a Sony that is that "ka-thung" noise when it powers up.

-Get the speaker out of there. Sony uses an Aperature Grill (a series of piano-like wires stretched [picture a harp] vertically and positioned horizontally across the inside of the CRT. These wires can get permanently magnetized and then you are SOL.

-The snapping is common in the first 30-45 days of operation, especially if you live in a low huidity climate (4% here last week).

5. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Thanks! It does seem that the snapping is fairly common judging by comments on other boards. I moved the center channel off the tv by about an inch using the Sanus TV shelf. I no longer notice any discoloration. Does that mean I am in the clear or could there still be problems?

Mark