New TV. How do I control the volume through my tv while using receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kley, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Kley

Kley Auditioning

So I just got a TH-50PX50U. With my old tv, I could use the receiver to power the speakers but I was able to control the volume through the tv. In other words, I would set the receiver's volume and it would remain at -30 or something like that, but I could use the tv's volume system to turn the volume up or down. I hope that made sense. I have made all the same connections and I believe that the only difference is the tv. Any ideas?

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Newer tvs usually have an unpowered audio out for the express purpose that you use the receiver's volume control to control the receiver. Your best solution may be investing in a universal remote that allows you to change channels, etc. on the tv while controlling the receiver with the volume button.

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Some tv's have "fixed" and "variable" audio outputs on the back.
    Or you can go into the menu and configure them that way. I think you want variable. Meaning the output will vary when you change the vol. on your tv.

4. Kley

Kley Auditioning

I was hoping to not have to buy a universal remote-I never seem to consistently have any luck with them.

When I change the sound settings to variable, so far, it only affects the tv's speaker and not the others through the receiver.

Any other ideas?

5. John S

John S Producer

I think this is pretty normal in todays world. I mean, variable out to a line level input, while it maybe convenient for some, is a really bad idea anyways. Line level input is meant to be just that, a consistant standard level from source device to a pre-amp stage.

The only way I ever allow the display to be a source is if it has an HDTV tuner it. Using the digital audio output of such a display, I don't think we will ever see variable from displays again. For analog NTSC duties, a stereo hi-fi VCR or a SVHS VCR make for great tuners, be it analog cable or NTSC over the air broadcast, but thay also have proper fixed level line level 2 channel L/R output.

In short, in the future you will always have to use the AVR or Pre/Pro to adjust volume at all.

6. Tom.K

Tom.K Agent

Kley,
    On my Sony HD-CRT the are RCA line level jacks that connect to a receiver or amplifier. On the Sony menu you can choose either "fixed" output which means that you control volume with the receiver or "variable" output which means that you can do what you used to do; set the receiver's volume at a medium level and control the volume with the TV's control. The Sony menu also allows you to shut off the TV's speakers. Why do you not want to control the volume from the receiver? If it has a motor driven pot I could understand that you are worried about wearing it out. If it has an electronic (chip) volume control I would not be concerned about wearing that out.
    Tom

7. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Kley,

After reading the manual,
    http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...ceCenter=true#

and looking at the connections here,
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-p2ikXZG...display=XL#Tab

you should be able to do this. Don't go buy a universal remote as I assume that your whole point for wanting to do this is so you don't have to pick up another remote when your watching tv, right?
    I am assuming you have your audio cables going from the far right outputs (on the back of the tv) to your receiver or are you using the digital out? Then you said you tried switching to variable, did you then try to turn off your speakers on in the tv menu as well? Maybe it will only work that way. I would also try it with it set to fixed. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

8. Kley

Kley Auditioning

Yeah, I the less remotes there are the better my life is (my girlfriend uses this setup too). I do have the audio going from the far right outputs going into a receiver (Kenwood, probably 6-7 years old). How much difference would there be if used the digital out (I need a new receiver anyway-I can never find a code for it)? Yeah, when I switched it to variable I also turned the TV's speakers off, when I did that and tried to change the volume from the tv remote, a caption on the tv said something like "no sound the speakers are off." I don't know. I appreciate everyone's help.

9. Charlie Campisi

One correction -- the point of getting a universal remote is to eliminate remotes, not add to your collection. I have 4 remotes sitting in a drawer. I have a Harmony that controls my tv, dvd, AVR and directv dvr, as well as configures all of the a/v inputs correctly when I want to listen to music or play ps2. I occasionally have to take the other remotes out if I am messing around with something obscure in the menus, but that is very rare.

My wife loves it. My 6 year old can run my system. I can tell my 13 y.o. babysitter how to play dvds for the kids in less than 30 seconds, with or without surround sound and with only one remote.

Your conceptions about universal remotes are wrong!

10. Kley

Kley Auditioning

The less remotes the better was in reference to adding the receiver's remote into the mix-as I previously did not need it. As for my conceptions about universal remotes, I have yet to find one that I have been pleased with. If anyone has any suggestions on a universal remote that works well with Tivo and the other normal components, let me know. I know that a lot of people like the Harmony remotes, but I have a Mac and from what I have read you need a PC to set it up and maintain it.

11. Charlie Campisi

I was mostly referring to Chris saying

This is what the Harmony and other well designed universal remotes like the Home Theater Master and Pronto do. You are already using at least a dvd remote and tv remote and maybe a dvr/sat/cable remote. You are also I take it not using your AVR remote because you'd rather control the volume with the tv remote, ceding some control to streamline your remotes.

What I am trying to say is that the universal will reduce the remotes you are using to one, and certainly not add another remote. These remotes are not like the "universal remote" that comes with your tv or cable box and can be programmed to control some of the functions on alternate devices, but you still have to have the other remotes available to do certain things like change a/v inputs. These universal remotes do everything.

I click "watch tv" and the tv and sat box/dvr turn on and the correct inputs are adjusted and my channel button controls the sat/dvr while my volume button controls the tv. I click "watch tv w/surround" and the AVR turns on, the a/v inputs are adjusted and volume control switches from the tv to the avr. I click "watch dvd w/surround" and the sat box turns off, the dvd turns on and the a/v inputs are changed. The play, ff, rev, pause buttons switch from controlling the sat/dvr to the dvd player.

It's a great benefit. The WAF "wife approval factor" is HUGE. You should at least try one from Amazon to see if you like it. You can return it if you don't and they pay the return shipping.

Not sure about your PC/Mac issue. Check out the forums at www.remotecentral.com for advice on that.