What's new

New TV defective or normal? (1 Viewer)

MikeTeachman

Auditioning
I bought a new Panasonic 27" tau flat tube tv. The picture quality is incredible, after calibration of course :). The stock setting are awful.

Whenever i turn the monitor, theres a delay of a second or so and then i hear a loud click. When i turn it off i see a quick flash of white lines on the screen spaced about an inch or so apart. I was under the impression that only older dying tv's had these characteristics, but it happened to first time i turned the tv on.
Does it have something to do with the energy star, or the flat screen? Is this normal or defective?

My father runs on the treadmill in our living room. While using the rabbit ears during a run, i see a white vertical line moving across the screen but there are no problems when watching DVDs.Unfortunately his running creates intense pounding that can easily be felt standing anywhere in the room . I can even feel it through my hand if my hand is on top of the tv. Nothing in the room shakes off the wall or anything but i doubt its good for the tv.Will this damage the TV over time?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Not sure about the turn-on issue, but it certainly isn't normal for most TV's I've seen. I might consider swapping it if you just got it. Kinda strange...

You could try putting some kind of mat under the TV, that might help a bit. If its a trinitron set, the vibration can mess with the picture and make it look shaky because the trinitron lines inside are shaking.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This would be better suited for the Display Devices area. Agreed with Chris -- if you're still in the store's return-policy window, you might want to swap the unit out with another.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks