new TV, darker top left corner!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by peter_anderson, Dec 3, 2001.

1. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

Bought a brand new Toshiba 27" non-flat TV yesterday. For the first hours, I didn't notice the darker top left corner because I was watching widescreen DVDs. Then I switched to cable and there it was! The top left corner has a slightly darkish tint to it. Nothing is obscured, and the tint only goes down about two inches. There are bookshelf speakers on either side, 14" away and a center channel on top. Moving the speakers around doesn't make a difference.

At lunch I will try the TV in another room, but if this is something known and/or fixable I REALLY don't want to pack it up again and attempt to take it back to Best Buy by myself.

Really strange coincidence, my 3 year old 19" Sony Trinitron monitor also has a darkish/bluish tint to the top left corner and a reddish tint to the top right corner, which started when I moved to my current residence two years ago. I just assumed it was getting old.

Any info would be welcome!

2. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    I would bet this is damage from a magnetic field. I was at a relatives house and noticed a dark corner periodicaly appearing on the tv. I recognized the color distortions as symptoms of magnetic problems. Turned out it was a clock sitting on top of the tv. We removed the clock but there was some permanent damage to the tv.

Check for anything that might generate a magnetic field near that part of the TV!

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

My computer monitor has a "sorta" darkish patch just to the upper right of center, not at the edge. But then, computer monitors are not advertised as TV quality displays.
    I am told that the phosphor dots or stripes are put on for one color at a time by floating a slurry into the picture tube. Phosphor adheres to the spots on an adhesive-chemical layer that is selectively made sticky by light shone through the shadow mask. If the layer of phosphor thus deposited was not uniforly thick I suppose that brightness non-uniformity could result.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info! After moving everything around and turning everything else off, I think I have it narrowed down to the APC battery backup units on my two computers, six feet away. I turned them off and moved them twenty feet away, and the darkness is now less, but still present. I think it is permanent damage!

Today I mustered the energy to pack the TV back up into its original box. I will probably exchange it for an identical model tonight if they have one in stock. And move the computers.