What's new

new TV, darker top left corner! (1 Viewer)

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Bought a brand new Toshiba 27" non-flat TV yesterday. For the first hours, I didn't notice the darker top left corner because I was watching widescreen DVDs. Then I switched to cable and there it was! The top left corner has a slightly darkish tint to it. Nothing is obscured, and the tint only goes down about two inches. There are bookshelf speakers on either side, 14" away and a center channel on top. Moving the speakers around doesn't make a difference.

At lunch I will try the TV in another room, but if this is something known and/or fixable I REALLY don't want to pack it up again and attempt to take it back to Best Buy by myself.

Really strange coincidence, my 3 year old 19" Sony Trinitron monitor also has a darkish/bluish tint to the top left corner and a reddish tint to the top right corner, which started when I moved to my current residence two years ago. I just assumed it was getting old.

Any info would be welcome!

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
I would bet this is damage from a magnetic field. I was at a relatives house and noticed a dark corner periodicaly appearing on the tv. I recognized the color distortions as symptoms of magnetic problems. Turned out it was a clock sitting on top of the tv. We removed the clock but there was some permanent damage to the tv.

Check for anything that might generate a magnetic field near that part of the TV!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
My computer monitor has a "sorta" darkish patch just to the upper right of center, not at the edge. But then, computer monitors are not advertised as TV quality displays.
I am told that the phosphor dots or stripes are put on for one color at a time by floating a slurry into the picture tube. Phosphor adheres to the spots on an adhesive-chemical layer that is selectively made sticky by light shone through the shadow mask. If the layer of phosphor thus deposited was not uniforly thick I suppose that brightness non-uniformity could result.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info! After moving everything around and turning everything else off, I think I have it narrowed down to the APC battery backup units on my two computers, six feet away. I turned them off and moved them twenty feet away, and the darkness is now less, but still present. I think it is permanent damage!

Today I mustered the energy to pack the TV back up into its original box. I will probably exchange it for an identical model tonight if they have one in stock. And move the computers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks