New TV & Calibrations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Polo, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Andy Polo

Andy Polo Stunt Coordinator

I just got my new HDTV Sony 51 inches [​IMG]... to say the least i am very excited to update from my 27 inch POS 12 year old Hitachi( may you rest in peace) anyway i was wondering what i should use to calibrate to prevent burn in and get the best possible picture. is there a cd or something? Appreciate any and all help

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    AVIA and Video Essentials are the more common setup DVD's these days. You may consider the cheapest one you can find because Digital Video Essentials is coming in June 2003 tailor made for HDTV.

3. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

andy welcome to the big screen world. you're gonna love it! i have a sony 53" hdtv with surround and watching movies is awesome!
    anyways, the first thing you should do is go into the user menu and make sure all the picture settings are ~50% and turn sharpness down to ~25%. then when you have time pick up the avia calibration disc and fine tune your video calibrations. if you have a surround sound system, you might also want to pick up a spl sound meter at rs (model 33-2250)to fine tune those audio calibrations. i just did that to mine and it sounds alot better. using your ear to set the output levels via a receiver's test tones i found out is obviously not very accurate.
    lastly, i would recommend checking out these two websites when you have time.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10/
    http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/learnabout/burnin.html
    check back when you have more questions. good luck and start enjoying! rick

4. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

oops... that sound meter is model 33-2050. rick