New TV being very naughty..need some help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrettisMckinney, Feb 1, 2003.

1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

A few things have me worried about my new TOshiba ws set. FIrstly, the least major thing. On all of the other size options other than Wide mode..like 4:3,cinema etc, the bars at the side are skewed inside like a semi circle! Now i moved all the speakers away thinking it might be magnetical interference but didnt do anything. Now i'm not overly worried coz i only use the wide mode for dvds' but it has me troubled coz i dont know whats causing it and if the wide mode is getting it too? I have a screen adjust option but all it does and move the image across the screen.

Number 2, the big one. WHen i switch to component for my dvd and have the dvd player background set to gray, i notice flickering kinda waves running across the screen. I tried using just a composite input and it greatly reduced the lines but they were still there. I noticed it on a movie once and thought i was going mad. I put the background to blue, but couldnt see anything, changed it to grey and there they were. So i'm not sure what would cause this, my feeling is that it is the dvd player coz i cant tell with dvd off. Anyone heard of this?

Also, when i was moving speakers around i got a bit of magnet color on the screen,purple and blue in the corners, will they disapear after a while?

Getting a bit worried!

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Brettis,

The first problem sounds like a geometry issue which cannot be addressed outside of the service menu. Sounds like pincushioning. You don't mention your specific model but you may be able to gain entry by searching the web.

The second problem sure sounds like the player (problem on both types of output) but as the set still can't be ruled out I suggest you borrow a player from someone and test it out.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Since it's a new set, I'd definitely call in a tech before doing anything very radical like getting into the service menu and trying to fix the geometry yourself.

Jan

4. BrettisMckinney

Ok, i found out that the running lines are not from the DVD player so that rules that out. Looks like i definately have a set problem. [​IMG] I've contacted the supplier so waiting to hear what they have to say. The model is a Toshiba 32zd16g and the picture is amazing,..if only i didnt have these problems as it is very distracting!

5. BrettisMckinney

While im waiting for a response i went and bought a belkin power cube. Its has a power line filter, so i can see if the interference is from that.