New TV arrives tomorrow, what settings first

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JasonS, Aug 4, 2003.

1. JasonS

JasonS Stunt Coordinator

I will be having my new rptv delivered tomorrow, and want to get it set up quickly. What are the options to change first, contrast, color, brightness..... In case you need to know, it's a new panasonic 47incher. Any one with Panasonic, feel free to tell me your settings.

Thanks,

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Given unit-to-unit variations, what works for one owner may not work for another. But to be safe, immediately lower the contrast to below 50 percent and work from there. Lower the so-called "sharpness" control to near or at zero percent as well. Then get a good calibration disc and tame the picture.

That set deserves a professional-level calibration, btw.

3. JasonS

JasonS Stunt Coordinator

Projessional-level calibration? I was planning on picking up Avia, Video Essentials or Sound & Vision Tune Up. Will this not be adequate?

4. Mike>Mob

Mike>Mob Auditioning

Jason, I too have a Panny47wx53, and I'm loving it. You can just go ahead and use the Avia disk to get a nice clean picture for now.

You'll probably notice a slight red push when you get to the color decoder check, but I would just level it off the best I could by toning down the color.

Don't mess with the service modes unless you're very comfortable changing the settings. Also, be sure to write ALL the settings down first before making any changes.

You'll love your new TV![​IMG]

P.S. Use Cinema mode for your DVD player and Standard for your Cable/Satellite. You'll most likely be watching regular TV with the light on, and movies with the lights off. These settings are best for their respective situations. They need a little tweaking, but will eventually produce a very nice picture....

5. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

And, of course, every new Panny owner should visit Panny.tv, an excellent source of information.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jason, even doing the best-possible job with a calibration disc and the user menus you can't hope to tame the set's grayscale tracking without much knowledge, a color analyzer, and access to to the service menu. This is best left to a professional.

7. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The difference between AVIA / Test disc and a full fledged calibration is the difference between changing your oil (not the filter) and doing a full tune up on the car.

Regards

8. JasonS

JasonS Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help, all. I don't think I'm going to be able to get the set professional calibrated for a little while (bought furniture also + finishing basement = me broke). I'll definately do some setup with one of the discs. This will be my first time. I've only had cheap tv's in the past, and have just set them up to what looks good.