New TV and DVD cabling problems - Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Fa, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Paul Fa

Paul Fa Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,
    I just bought a Toshiba D2705 five disk DVD player and a JVC AV 32D501 32" TV and am very happy with both. Connections:
    DVD to TV: Monster cable component video cable
    DVD to old stereo video-in audio RCA jacks: Monster cable
    Cable box RCA audio-out to TV audio-in RCA jacks: reg cable
    Cable box coax video-out to TV coax video-in: RG9 coax
    VCR coax video-out to cable box 2nd video-in: RG9 coax
    VCR RCA audio out to cable box RCA audio-in: reg cable
    Cable from outside to cable box: RG9 coax
    I have two issues. 1.) My new TV has picture-in-picture capability, but I can't use it since the cable box only outputs a single channel to the TV and 2.) Since my RCA audio-out jacks are connected to my older 'regular' Sony integrated stereo system, the TV speakers aren't working with the stereo speakers.
    I guess I could spend another $1,000 and get a nice AV receiver/separates that would solve these problems, and in fact I intend to, but are there ways I could accomplish these goals in the mean time? Can you get Cable boxes that have more outputs - and even if so, my new TV only has one coax connection in the back, whereas my 12 yr old Mitsubishi 25" color TV had 2!!! My current cable box is a GI unit that has a label that says 'Dolby digital' on the front, but no S-video or other digital outputs on the back. For question #2, I think if there were another set of RCA audio inputs/outputs on both the TV and the DVD player I could have the TV speakers on with the stereos' speakers during DVD play, but they don't have any!
    Ideas please!

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, lets see. First of all for Picture in picture - When the cable line comes out of the wall split it. One to the TV and one to the cable box. Splitters are cheap. You won't be able to get all of your channels on both sides, but that is life!
    The VCR A/V (RCA) outputs would normally go to the TV's inputs. Since your stereo is limited you could get some 'Y' connecters. They'd basically be 1 in to 2 outs. (The TV & the stereo). You could get an A/V switching box as well. They are cheap and with 4 in to 1 out, the cable, VCR & DVD RCA lines could all be fed into it, and if you used 'Y' connectors on the single output, you'd get sound going to your stereo and your TV.
    And/or you could probably send your DVD RCA audio outs to the input on your VCR, and have its outputs go to the stereo. Since macrovision is only for the video, you should be ok there. Have fun (I think).
    Glenn

3. Paul Fa

Paul Fa Stunt Coordinator

Hi Glenn,
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I kinda had a feeling those were going to be my options, but I'm just kinda getting back into all of this stuff, and wanted to make sure I wasn't really missing something obvious. I guess a follow-up question would be if you think the loss involving video signal splitters and audio 'Y' connectors would apparent enough? With my older stereo I kinda doubt it on the audio side, but with the new TV it might be more apparent. Oh well, you can't get something for nothing, and I know that I'll be buying a $1,000 - $1,500 AV receiver within the year - so these options really are temporary. I will contact my cable company on Monday to find out if I can get a box with upgraded features and in/outputs.
    Thanks again.
    Paul

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The signals should not degrade at all. If they do, you have a bum part. Some cable companies will even help you to get set up for PinP, but some won't. Good luck.
    Glenn