What's new

New TV advice (1 Viewer)

Joe_schnur

Auditioning
I am getting a new TV with my graduation money. In my previous post I said I was thinking about a philips 27ps55s, no one replied. My budget was ~$300 then. I ended up getting ~$600. Well, now I am thinking of getting a JVC AV32302. Now that it is a bigger TV I hope some of you will/can give your advice about it or another TV of the same size. I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks
Joe

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Why not look at some of the Toshibas in the same price range.

Or, with the same $600, you might consider a higher-end 27-incher, such as the Sony WEGA, which has a user menu-accessible squeeze mode.

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the same situation also...

I saw the Philips 27ps55s at my local Costo for $270 and want to know if anyone has anything good (or bad) to say about it? And does it do the anamorphic squeeze (Regular or service menu)?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
As I've posted in a lot of other posts I would take a look at the Samsung 32 inch & 36 inch sets. They have Component Video Inputs & can do the "Squeeze Trick" The 32 inch set can be had for around $450 or less & the 36 inch set can be had for under $600 If I was buying a set I would at least get a 32 inch model which is 40% bigger than a 27 inch model. You'll be glad you did especially when watching letterboxed DVD's.

TimG

Second Unit
Where do you find the Samsung tv's? The only ones I can find are the high def models at Best Buy.

TimG

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Best Buy used to have them? Maybe they are just out of them or waiting for the new models to come in. Sears also has them though.

Joe_schnur

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice everyone, I would like for it to keep coming because I haven't gotten my TV yet. Here are a few comments about your posts.

1. I want a 32" TV, I looked at two side by side and cant see myself being happy with a 27".

2. I looked at the Samsung and Toshiba's and the JVC I was looking at. They all seem to have around the same picture quality(or it could just be because my judgment was ruined because I walked by a Hitachi HDTV before I found them), guess I wont see the highest quality until I hook my X-Box or Dreamcast up with component or s video. I think the JVC's exterior is better looking than the others. I wasn't quite sure I would like the silver look until I saw it. The only complaint I had was that I didn't like the remote all that much. So far I think I am going for the JVC.

3. I hate sony so please don't mention them.

If anyone has or has seen the JVC AV-32d303 please comment on it.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I don't think the JVC does the "Squeeze Trick" for DVD's though unless you get into the service menu.

Robert Mayrand

Stunt Coordinator
I was in the same dilemma. I hesitate quite much with a small flat screen 27" that does the squeeze trick (sony wega). And a bigger 32 inch regular without the squeeze and the flat screen (JVC & toshiba). When I found the samsung 36" regular screen with the squeeze trick. at about the same price....my choice was quickly made. I just bought it today.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks