What's new

New TV advice (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I am looking to get a new TV in the next two months. I have had my heart set on a 16:9 set for years, waiting for the money to get one. I have the Toshiba 34inch in mind.

I am looking for a direct view TV because when I am not watching DVDs I am mostly gaming.

Now I am leaning towards a Wega with 16:9 sqeeze. A lot of what I watch and play is 4:3, but damn is 16:9 pretty. My questions are:

1. How will watching lots of 4:3 material affect the widescreen set? It shouldnt have burn in as bad from being a tube.

2. How large would the 16:9 area be on a 36in Wega with the squeeze? I know the 4:3 area on the 16:9 set is 29in.

I am really at a loss. I want the most bang for my buck, and really want the 16:9. I know if I dont get it I will probably regret it, but with as much 4:3(GAMES) material I use, the 16:9 might not be the best option.

Opinions?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Watching lots of 4:3 on a 16:9 set will have about the same burn in results as watching a lot of 16:9 on a 4:3 set. If you keep the contrast under half for watching movies and under a third for video games, you should not have problems with a direct view set.
If your contrast control is not even, you can find the "blooming point" using Video Essentials or AVIA and use one half or one third of that maximum apparent brightness as opposed to one half or one third of the contrast adjustment scale.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ok...went hunting again. Thought about projection again. Since I will be doing a pretty even mix of gaming and DVD watching, I dont think burn in would be an issue on a projection set.

I was looking at the Mitsubishi WT-46809 today, and was looking at that and the Panasonic 47 inch for a while too. Leaning more towards the Mits.

Advice people?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks