New TV Advice, please?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tony_Faville, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Okay guys, I am finally looking at moving into a widescreen TV. My wife and I watch a total of four TV stations (Discovery, History, FoodNetwork and CBS) and the other 95% of the time is spent wading through our DVD collection.

I come to you guys for assistance because you undeniably know more about TV's than I or just about anyone else out there does.

Here are my facts, I will have $1500 maximum to spend and my viewing area is an 11' x 12' living room. If you had to do this, what would you buy? Would you go for the highest quality 42" or 46" you could buy or would you go for a 50"+ system? And of course, any specific recommendations to help me narrow the field would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

2. John S

John S Producer

After doing a ton of leg work looking at sets in person, I decided on a Philips

I went for a massive 60" 4:3 RP HDTV with native widescreen mode for HDTV. $1248 to my door ordered online at www.electronicsalley.com I am very happy with it going on three months now. I traded off DVI input, and 720p support. But my HDTV, DVD's, and even my LD's are really amazing.

Good luck with your purchase.

3. MichaelOD

MichaelOD Stunt Coordinator

i would have to vouch for widescreen tv's from toshiba, panasonic and hitachi.

when i was shopping for a widescreen, i was looking for the best bang for my buck that offered a great picture, great features, as well as great stretch modes. there are detailed accounts on the internet [specifically here], about the pros and cons of each.

for my money, i ended up going w/ a 57HX83 from toshiba. picture quality is fantastic [use avia, or alternate calibration disc to make it look its best]the stretch modes are the best in the business, and its arguably one of the nicest looking RPTV's around for its price.

i chose CRT RPTV because of the performance/dollar value - they are tough to beat. if you have the space, i would strongly suggest.

4. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I saved up the extra money, sold my first born for a good price, and bought a 42" plasma for a room about the same size and similar viewing habits. Most satisfying purchase I've ever made.

Mort