What's new

New TV Advice, please? (1 Viewer)

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
Okay guys, I am finally looking at moving into a widescreen TV. My wife and I watch a total of four TV stations (Discovery, History, FoodNetwork and CBS) and the other 95% of the time is spent wading through our DVD collection.

I come to you guys for assistance because you undeniably know more about TV's than I or just about anyone else out there does.

Here are my facts, I will have $1500 maximum to spend and my viewing area is an 11' x 12' living room. If you had to do this, what would you buy? Would you go for the highest quality 42" or 46" you could buy or would you go for a 50"+ system? And of course, any specific recommendations to help me narrow the field would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

John S

Senior HTF Member
After doing a ton of leg work looking at sets in person, I decided on a Philips

I went for a massive 60" 4:3 RP HDTV with native widescreen mode for HDTV. $1248 to my door ordered online at www.electronicsalley.com I am very happy with it going on three months now. I traded off DVI input, and 720p support. But my HDTV, DVD's, and even my LD's are really amazing.

Good luck with your purchase.

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator
i would have to vouch for widescreen tv's from toshiba, panasonic and hitachi.

when i was shopping for a widescreen, i was looking for the best bang for my buck that offered a great picture, great features, as well as great stretch modes. there are detailed accounts on the internet [specifically here], about the pros and cons of each.

for my money, i ended up going w/ a 57HX83 from toshiba. picture quality is fantastic [use avia, or alternate calibration disc to make it look its best]the stretch modes are the best in the business, and its arguably one of the nicest looking RPTV's around for its price.

i chose CRT RPTV because of the performance/dollar value - they are tough to beat. if you have the space, i would strongly suggest.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I saved up the extra money, sold my first born for a good price, and bought a 42" plasma for a room about the same size and similar viewing habits. Most satisfying purchase I've ever made.

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks