New TV advice... ~18' viewing distance - want to purchase asap

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ben_Beckey, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Ben_Beckey

Ben_Beckey Auditioning

Hi all, first post here...

I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for Mitsubishi stuff, which is good, because that's what brand I've been looking at.

In any case, my living room is 20' long, and the couch and TV are on opposite ends. I was thinking I should probably go all out and get a 65" screen. Am I thinking correctly or would smaller be okay?

Also, what model? I don't have any HD providers in my town yet, so as long as I can get an external box or whatever down the road then I'm not worried about having the HD tuner built in. I may have worded that wrong... I'm pretty new to home theatre stuff, so, please excuse the ignorance.

I'm looking to get this TV asap... maybe even today. Gotta watch the playoffs on it! (huge baseball fan) Thanks in advance all!

2. John S

John S Producer

20', I'd say 60" min... I try to match it to the same relative field of view I get in a theater sitting 3/4ths the way on to the back most seats in a real birck and mortor theater.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

18 feet is a little long for even a 65" screen. I would think of moving my couch closer. Anyway, do not be afraid to purchase the 65", you are definitely not too close.

4. Ben_Beckey

Ben_Beckey Auditioning

Alright, sounds good.

So I should be happy going with the 65" Mitsubishi, then? I think the model # is WS65315... $2300.

There's also WS-65513 and WS-65515 models that are more expensive... I think they have the HD tuner built in, but I didn't know if one was just a newer model and what the difference was. The 65513 is on sale for about $2450, and the 65515 is $2800. Any reason to go with either of those over the 65315?

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Ben, you're better off not having the tuner built-in, it's a waste of money. You will need either a satellite receiver or cable box anyway. I would also go with the 65" at that distance. If it is not your "main" set, you should consider a front projector.

6. Ben_Beckey

Ben_Beckey Auditioning

It is my 'main' TV. I live in a house by myself... just the living room, bedroom, kitchen, and a couple unfinished rooms in the basement. When I move into a new house, I plan on building a dedicated HT room, which will probably have a projector, but for now I figured going with a TV makes more sense for my situation.

I really appreciate the input, guys... I look forward to picking your brains when I'm ready to buy a surround sound setup... I won't have much of a budget at all for that at first, and won't want to spend much because, like I said, I'll get the good stuff when I have a new house. Anyway, thanks again!

I'll check this thread one last time towards the end of work before I run out to buy this thing.

7. JasonALL

JasonALL Auditioning

I got the Mitsubishi 65315 a few months back, and I love it to death. It took me a while to figure out how to get the best pictures out of it, for instance when viewing SD cable channels, it was best to switch to 480i-wide, and switch to stretch, using the cable box, instead of the tv. Using the TV stretch cuts the picture off at the top too much (hides baseball scores), but using the cable stretch works fine.

8. Ben_Beckey

Ben_Beckey Auditioning

Well, I went ahead and got the TV, and it's HUGE... I love it! Now, being the newbie I am, I'm looking for advice on what all I need to do to set this puppy up to perform at its best. I know nothing about tweaking settings and all that, so... any newbie guides out there?

Stretch plus seems to be the best way to view normal cable broadcasts for me (I don't have an external cable box), or stretch if I have to read the bottom bar on ESPN.

9. John S

John S Producer

Congrats on the great dilspay... I love those sets.

Performance suggestions:

On how to hook stuff up? Just go with the best the source has available.

If it has DVI/HDMI use that...
    If it has Component Video as it's best use that
    If it has Svideo as it's best use that.
    ect....

On the intitial tweaking, find a DVD that has the THX optimizer, this can go a long way to giving excellent results from your new display.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I have a 55413 so here is my advice on tweaking:

Do the convergence(both of them).
    Remove the glare screen(optional but made a huge difference here)
    turn down red in the perfect color menu. I would turn it down maybe 5-6 notches.
    Turn off VSM
    Use a good set of cables. Cheap ones won't do IMHO. I've tried the ones from Walmart and Target and there are better out there for a little more.
    I turned off Film mode.
    I turned off Black Enhancement
    I then calibrated with Avia for the other settings(contrast, brightness etc etc).

DVI on a Mits is not necessariliy the best option. It doesn't stay all digital on a CRT set. Personally I find component to be just as good. IT has multiple component ins so put them to good use.

Regarding the zoom modes: I found I preferred Normal over the others. Stretch Plus got annoying after a while in comparison. I may also be called Stretch but I'm pretty sure its "Normal". I'm not at home so I can't double check.

After a month, check your convergence again to make sure it hasn't drifted.

So far I love my set.

Also get a good progressive scan dvd player. I would recommend one in the 250-$350 range to get a decent one. The sub $200 ones I've found to be poor. I've returned 3 so far due to quirks, poor reliability/durability.