new tv $3000 budget, help me out!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by allan espinoza, Jan 24, 2005.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

well i am looking to get a new t.v and i have a $3,000 budget, but i have no clue on what to get. I do not want to end up being ripped off by sales people that half the time do not know what they are even talking about. What type of tv should i look for? Also, if possible, i would like to be able play video games on it. Will there be anything new or any new type of technology that i should wait for? Please no big terms that the average person would not know, thanks

2. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I'm looking in the same price range and I think I've settled on the Mitsubishi WD-52327. It's a 52" DLP set and is pretty good quality. The WD-52525 is the step up that has the built-in HD Tuner and an HDMI plug. I'm still doing research to find out about the HDMI plug. The 52327 does not have it and from what I've read, HD-DVD requires an HDMI plus. But, I've also read that you could use a DVI plug that supports HDCP instead, which the 5237 has. As soon as I figure out if the 5237 will work for the HD-DVD formats, I'll pick it up. It runs anywhere from $2,699 - $2,999. Add a $300 stand to that. I've been quoted $3,300 out the door price, but you can get it cheaper. This is from a mom and pop dealer. Best Buy has the 52525 with stand for around $3,350 total. It's on sale this week.

3. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Allan, what is the room like where you will put the set?

4. Oren Paul

Oren Paul Stunt Coordinator

Is a front projector a possibility, if you try one you will never go back.

5. allan espinoza

the room i have is a dedicated ht room. lighting is not an issue as there can be light or pitch black whether it is day or night. i currently have a sony kv36h420 in that room, but i wanted to replace an older tv we have in the living room and i was thinking of placing the tv i have now in the living and the new one in the ht room. I do not have the dimensions handy right now, but I can once i get home from work. A front projector i am not sure as my room is not a big room, but rather a small to medium size room and projector may just be too big, but then i dont know exactly how they work so if it is a possibility then i am all for it. i would like if possible to be able to play video games on it. I am not sure of what you need to know as far as what the room is like so feel free to ask.

6. Will.MA

Will.MA Stunt Coordinator

If your room isn't a big room, a front projector may be an attractive solution. It is much easier to decorate/arrange furniture in a small room when you don't have to work around a hulking box the size of an upright piano or freezer. With a front projector, you can decide on the screen size that best fits your taste, from big to small, and when your finished using it, the projector can be stored on a shelf or someplace all together out of sight.

Originally I wanted a 65" RPTV unit, but when my wife saw its size, she couldn't accept how it would totally dominate our medium-sized living room. So, as an alternative to accommodate her concerns, I looked around and eventually settled on a PJ. It will set on an 43" AV cart when being used and project onto a 90" screen that pulls up from the floor (the shipment hasn't arrived yet, thus the future verb conjugation). When I'm done watching movies, the screen goes into the closet (it weighs only 23 Lbs) and the projector is wheeled into my office.

The best part is when I move (which will be soon), I won't have to worry about how to transport a 200 Lb. piece of equipment safely or how to pay for it. All I move is my projector that weighs 12 Lbs and the said screen. When we find a home that has room for a dedicated HT, only the screen will need mounting. And I saved almost $1000 on the mid-priced DLP/LCD solutions that I initially thought would be the best compromise AFTER buying an extended warranty. My expectations AND my constraints were well met by going the front projection route, and I came in well under $3000 all-in.

The only hard part about considering a projector is deciding on what to buy and from whom. You'll probably want to spend some time familiarizing yourself with the technology available nowadays as well as researching resellers from which to purchase your PJ that have the best reputation. Further, there are many choices to choose from. Educate yourself so you can make the decision that will best serve your viewing conditions and your budget. Good luck!

7. allan espinoza

although a projector does sound nice, will it be suitable for watching hdtv,video games and movies periodocally? I watch a lot of movies and any form of tv that i choose would used greatly. if the type of dvd player that i am using of any concern, I currently have Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. thanks for the input

8. Oren Paul

I use a DV-59AVi with my L-500 Panasonic projector and it works great. The projector is my main TV for DVD HDTV and regular cable TV and I am more than satisfied with all. I am not a gamer so cannot comment on that.

9. allan espinoza

hmmm, how are projectors in despersing heat? dont they get hot? Is a projector risk free in having it on for a long time like watching movies over and over?

10. Will.MA

Will.MA Stunt Coordinator

Just like a CRT or RP television, any device that processes light creates heat. I'm not sure of the risks you envision when you imagine operating a projector for extended periods so I can't comment intelligently about that. In general, as long as the projector is properly ventilated, it won't overheat and interrupt your viewing. Proper ventilation means not blocking the heat exhaust of the machine or encasing it in a housing (box) that prevents the free flow of air. Beyond overheating, there isn't a risk of fire if that's what your asking. Once it gets too hot, it will restrict operation until the dangerous temperatures have fallen. Barring conditions where the ambient temperature is extremely hot and/or the machine is prevented from ventilating, I doubt the housing would ever become uncomfortable to handle.

Other than those considerations, you'll need to clean the filter once a month to make sure dust doesn't build up inside the case. In addition to contributing to problems with ventilation, dust can degrade your picture quality. Cleaning the filters involve shaking it clean then replacing as far as I know.

I think you'll probably be happy with any decision you make because with your budget, your options are plenty. But if you have a dedicated space for HT, why not get a 100" image for less than a comparable 60" DLP/LCD solution? I think therein lies the value in projection systems.

11. allan espinoza

well i am really thinking about a projector, but i know squat about them, so its now time to do homework. Could someone recommend me a good projector within my budget, preferably with hdmi and at least 3 component inputs? thanks

12. Oren Paul

Could someone recommend me a good projector within my budget, preferably with hdmi and at least 3 component inputs? thanks

The L-500 Panasonic has a DVI and component input, I use my Receiver for all video switching and run only one set of component cables to the projector, I may hook up the DVI later but the quality of picture now is so good I question whether the $150.00 price of a 25'prox long DVI would be worth it.

For $3000.00 you should be able to get a L-700 Panasonic Projector (this years improved model of the L-500), a 100" prox screen from Carada, a spare lamp and component cables.

13. allan espinoza

wont hdmi be neccessary for blue ray and hd dvd? I know it is still far away, but i do not want to look back regreting that i did not purchase one.

14. Dave Farley

Dave Farley Second Unit

Yes.

15. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    My parents just took delivery of the Mitsubishi 52725 tonight and had the Cox HD Cablecard installed and all I can say is WOW!

It has an absolutely gorgeous picture and is so easy to set up and use! I almost had them get the 52525 but after reading about the amazing glare of it's protective screen etc. I steered them away and got the 725 instead. There is MINIMAL glare with it.

Several folks across the net claim to have a bright spot problem and rainbowing problem with SOME of there sets, but I saw NONE with the one installed today. It came with the latest 4.04 firmware.

I was able to help negotiate the price down to well under $3000 at Ultimate Electronics.

An outstanding TV and now I'm jealous as he** that they got one and I'm stuck with a 7 year old 35" Toshiba. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Wing L

Wing L Auditioning

I am reading differing opinions on whether DVI HDCP will be able to read HD-DVD or BlueRay. I am getting the Mits 52327 for what I think is a good price ($2300) and have the 30 day return period to fumble around with it. For that price, I know I am giving up some features from the 525 series. However I don't want to plunk down some hard earned money on an obsolete device. Should I return it and get something with HDMI.
    Chad (or anyone else), have you found out if HDCP DVI will be able to read those new DVDs? How about HDTV? Will lack of HDMI leave me without HDTV in the future?