1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

new turntable

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Travis*N, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Travis*N

Travis*N Auditioning

Yesterday I finally recieved the REGA P3 turntable I had ordered about 3 weeks ago. All I can say right now is "WOW"
    I will never listen to a CD again. (not really, just hyperbolizing [​IMG] )
    anyway, thanks to everyone who gave me some info/opinions when I was deciding what to go with. One thing now I am wondering about is isolation. Right now it's sitting on a rickety old wooden shelf, and if I tap the shelf, I hear a bump in the sound when playing a record. So whats a good way to isolate the TT. Is a really heavy, solid stand that doesn't move at all the best way to go or something that will absorb vibrations better. (rubber feet??)

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Over at audioasylum, some of the inmates highly recommend the IKEA LACK as a turntable platform. Do a search on the vinyl section of that site and you will find a lot of info.

I would suggest Vibrapods underneath the turntable for vibration control.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Always support a turntable/tonearm combo on the sturdiest-possible, most-isolated surface—for the obvious reasons: avoiding acoustic feedback as well as physical shock (resulting in your once-precious discs becoming scratched). It's all the more important with such a sophisticated, precisely engineered turntable as yours. Such precision comes at a price: It's delicate.

(Be as gentle with it as possible. Handle it carefully and keep it clean. And put the thing on a sturdier surface.)

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You're already well on the way just by having it on a shelf. You can walk around the room without the "boom-boom" of your footprints. [​IMG]

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I've seen turntables hung from the ceiling. It's unorthodox but it can work.

6. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Especially a Rega, which is comparatively light in weight... on recommendation, I put a Bright Star isolation block under my Planar 3, and it made an audible difference.

Their product line has changed some since I got mine... have a look: http://www.brightstaraudio.com/isolation_series.htm