1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

New toy: Toshiba sd9200....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshS, Mar 14, 2002.

1. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone,

The fed ex guy showed up around 11:00 with a rather heavy box, my new dvd player, a Toshiba sd9200. This thing is a tank, very heavy, about 30 lbs or so. The build quality is top notch, copper plating, aluminum front plate, very nice.

I've only played with it a little bit with cds. My first impression is that it's in the same company with my Sony '333es sacd player for redbook cds. Right out of the box it sounds great.

I haven't checked out the video end yet but this weekend should be fun. I will be using it with an analog 55" RPTV so I won't be able to comment on the progressive scan, just the interlaced output.

Right now it's hooked up to my 2 channel setup:

Classe cap151 integrated amp

Sony '333es sacd changer

Vandersteen 1c speakers

Catcables audio and video interconnects

Kimber 4vs speaker cable

In the next couple of months I'm looking to add a reciever, the vcc-1 center and surrounds, and a SVS pci. The Classe has a passthrough so it can be used as a power amp only in a ht set up so I won't have to compromise my music system to get home theater.

Thanks for looking, I'll post a more detailed review after I've had more time with the unit.

Thanks,

Josh

2. Robin Casady

Robin Casady Agent

I look forward to your further comments.

Thanks,

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, have you given DVD-Audio a try yet? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts there. The '9200 is an excellent value these days at $600-700. Toshiba is supposed to be releasing the '9500 this year, but I don't know when it will be out. Anyway, the '9200 is a steal now. Congrats. on the purchase.

4. JoshS

JoshS Stunt Coordinator

Hey Guys,

I've been seeing a lot of threads about the transport being noisy. I've used mine for two weeks with no problems.

I've mainly been using this as a cd player, redbook, not dvd-a. Compared to my sony '333es I think it's a better sounding unit with regular cds. The sound seems to open up more. Female vocals seem to come alive, Diana Krall's 'peel me a grape' gives a presense that isn't there with the sony. more life like and forward. I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone. I find it hard putting the sound into words.

I like the player. The dvd side is a big improvement over my Toshiba 2109. I have a non hdtv rptv so I'm only using the interlaced outputs.

I haven't gotten any dvd-a disks yet but am looking forward to it.

Again about the transport problem, I hope this gets resolved. Its a shame that some are missing out on this great unit because poor quality control. Especially with the prices being so low.

Thanks for looking,

Josh

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Josh, you offer high praise for the '9200 in saying that it beats the 'C333ES with CDs. That says a lot for the '9200. Of course, it once was a $1500 single-disc player, and it is obviously built well. A true reference machine. I hope yours doesn't develope the transport-noise problem.