What's new

New Toy Arrived - Panasonic TC-P58S2 (1 Viewer)

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I fired up a little OTA content in Cinema mode first, and thats what I've been missing. Plasma and LCD's do have a much different look, and Im definitely a plasma guy. I now realize what they mean by more "natural", but in LCD's defense, they are a little more sharp, hence the "unnatural" comments.

No stuck/dead pixels, and a big jump from the 2008 is, the white slides are VERY white. The 2008 models had a greenish "blob" on the white slides, and I know others have had issues in the past, but these are white. The Today show OTA, looked VERY good, just in the stock Cinema mode. As expected, buzz is there, but only on full white slides. In a quiet room, I can hear the full white buzz at my seat, once it goes to gray the buzz is gone. In my experience, buzz has always only been on white.

One running joke is a new feature, the clean touch bezel. I can say, without a doubt, that I like it. Previous models had bezels that would show fingerprints horribly. I touched this one in several spots, and NO marks. Very nice.

White slide

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_2192.jpg

From the side

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_2194.jpg

Not sure on this color...

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_2195.jpg

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Anyone have any idea what the new Blur Reduction setting really does? Cnet test a full 1080 lines of motion resolution with it ON, but I generally havent seen a feature like this on a plasma. Wonder if it uses interpolation?

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Got the Ideal Lume mounted

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/jlwhid/IMG_2199.jpg

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
sweet

how do you like it relating to color saturation. You may need to try with the color control set at around 35.

Let us know.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Thanks will do. The OTA looked good on Cinema, but I think the red's are a little bright, which is usual.

I'm gonna run the slides for a few days, then throw the 709 and Spears and Munsil discs in and see what I can get Color, Tint, Brightness and Contrast at.

Will let you know.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Just an update. In the beginning, the white slides let off a good bit of buzz, which ive seen before, but as of 30+ hours that has greatly diminished.

Screen uniformity on blue and red has also gotten better. Whites on this model are better than my 2008, because they had a greenish tint on white slides.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Well, TV was close to 60 hours of slides when we fired it up tonight. Picture out of the box, with user menu settings, was very good (The UFC HD PPV looked GREAT). I'm pleasantly surprised actually, at how good and warm it looks. PQ was very sharp on HD sat channels, more so than I remember on the 50" plasma. I have to wonder if they haven't improved these panels, but it's hard to tell because my 2008 was not a Neo PDP.

I also took the time to throw in a Blu-ray, and as expected, it looked awesome too. I also think this TV handles 2:3 pulldown better than my 2008 did.

Not quite sure what the deal is with the folks talking about a grainy image and gray blacks. Just more AVS nonsense I guess.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, this set doesn't have that 48hz feature, but there is definitely a smoother pan than my 2008 85u. As far as color, it looks pretty good, but reds are over-saturated, which seems to always be the case on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamywaby
Recent bookmarks