New Toshiba RPTVs - 540 upconversion still a problem???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian O, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I was wondering about the latest new RPTV Toshiba models and if the 540 line upconversion is or will be a problem as in the past. Is there a way to disable this now possibly? Also, what features are unique to the new models (57" and 65" models). Thanks

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Brian, I have a Toshiba 50HX81 and a 50H82 virtually side-by-side in the store. Both are connected to an Audio Authority HDTV-capable component video distribution amplifier. I did some side-by-side comparisons using both a Panasonic DVD-RP91 DVD player and a Sencore VP300 HDTV pattern generator.

I could detect no difference in the way Toshiba is doing the upconversion. It looks the same to me on either set, and I'm still of the opinion that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it. The H82 actually shows better resolution at 6.75MHz that the HX81, presumably because of the new CRTs, but possibly there's a higher bandwidth video amplifier in the new set too.

Now the HDX82's will be even better than the H82's, so it'll be interesting to see how things compare when those models become available.

3. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi ya folks,
    I've posted Michael TLV's report including pictures on the new models.
    Thanks,
    Errol

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I have the Toshiba 42H81 and love it.

Yes, it has the 540 upconversion problem, but I believe this problem is vastly overstated. You can see it on an Avia test pattern, side-by-side comparison, but as MichaelTLV states, most DVDs won't output that level of resolution anyway. For me, the smaller (shallower) footprint of the Toshiba made it the right choice for my room, far outweighing the 540 upconversion thing.

And apparently the new models do the upconversion better than the previous ones. I think the upconversion is a non-issue at this point.

Jan