New Toshiba HDtvs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RickMel, Jun 4, 2002.

1. RickMel

RickMel Extra

I was told by a Toshiba cust srv rep that the new models have started coming out - beginning in May. This seems accurate based on the fact that Best Buy is already advertising the 50h72 in this past Sunday's flyer.

I'm trying to hold off and wait for the new Toshibas that I've heard will have DVI... The question is when are they coming out? Does any one know? I'm specificaly interested in the 57 inch model which I've heard will be model 57hdx82 or 57h82 depending on if its the Cinema series or not.
    The "D" designating DVI and the "X" designates the Cinema series. The number two at the end designates the model year of 2002.

I've also heard that they may not be coming out until the fall. If that's the case, it would seem that they would be 2003 models. Will the 2002 models have DVI and when will they be out?

If anyone can shed light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I believe Mitsu will design an add on for DVI if it becomes the standard and IEEE dies...so, I'm trying to decide on a Mitsu WS55859 and just pull the trigger now, or wait for the new Toshibas with DVI. I won't buy the current Toshibas now only b/c that don't have either DVI or IEEE.

HELP !!!!!

2. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Well, I have the opportunity of getting Toshiba products wholesale (as well as other names) and I received a catalog and pricing sheet recently. I can tell you that the '02 models are listed on it.
    That's about all I can say. [​IMG]

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Adam, is pricing the same as last year's models? Can you scan & post the catalog you have? (or e-mail it to me & I'll host it on my website).

Rick, I'm interested in the 57H82 or 57HDX82 too, but from what I've read on this forum & AVS, it looks like they'll be out in Aug/Sept. I don't know if I can hold out until then -- I'm considering the 50H82, which I've read is coming out later this month (June).

I don't care about DVI (who knows if that'll be the final standard anyway), but if native 480p is indeed included (it appears to be on the 50H72 4:3 model already available @ bestbuy.com), it'll definitely be worth the wait. We can also hope the ghosting issue affecting previous models has been fixed.

4. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Extra

From what I've been able to gather, the H82 series will be DVI-upgradable, while the DHX82 series will come with a DVI connection. In the latest Home Theater magazine, OneCall.com has an ad for the H82's (stating that they are indeed DVI-upgradable), which leads me to believe that they will be available this month.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I sure hope so...I'd really like to find out the pricing on these set. I'm anxiously saving money praying that the 57H82 will be affordable [​IMG]

6. Brajesh Upadhyay

That's good news Frank. Thanks.

7. RickMel

RickMel Extra

Thanks for the info.

If the 57H82 will be DVI upgradeable, that's good enough for me...And if it will out within the next month, I will wait for it.

One very attractive point for the Mitsu ws55859 (all Mitsu) was the upgradeability to IEEE or potentialy DVI. If The Tosh 57h82 has upgradability to DVI, then it's a done deal.

The vast majority of my TV viewing will be standard satellite so the Tosh's line doubler and stretch modes will be more attractive to me than the Mitsu's - which don't have a good reputation for their line doublers and stretch modes.

One last question. Will there all be a new version of the Toshiba DST3000? I'd love to get the 57H82 and DST3000 HD tuner or it's replacement. This would give me a great HDtv for stardard satellite programming and with the DST3000, HD OTA stations (in Chicago, there's a bunch), and HD HBO and HDNET.

Now I'm excited - thanks again for the info.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I saw that One Call ad too and it certainly caught me by surprise. None of the Toshiba literature I have on the new line says a word about DVI upgradeability. I fired off an email to my rep this morning asking for his comments.

Toshiba was supposed to officially announce the new models in May, but they didn't for some reason.

9. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Extra

John, please let us know what you hear. I'd be interested any any other info you might have as well, such as will native 480p (as opposed to upconvert to 540p) be supported, dimensions, etc. Thanks.

10. RickMel

RickMel Extra

Yes,

Please keep us posted. If you get ahold of your rep - hit him/her with all the questions! I'm very anxious to get the 57h82 if, in fact, it has at least DVI upgradeability and will be out in a month or two.

When avail?
    Features?
    DVI?
    Dimensions?
    Cost?
    Native 480p
    etc...

I'm sure you know the questions to ask. You would make my day if you're the one "in the know!"

Thanks again.

11. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Sorry for the late response, Brajesh. The '01 and '02 models are listed together. I'm a little confused by this company's pricing sheet. They have the '02 models listed cheaper than the '01, if I'm reading it correctly. I think it's worth a call to the company.

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Wow. Keep us posted...I'm excited! [​IMG]

13. Brajesh Upadhyay

Here's a link to the OneCall ad, posted in another forum. It mentions DVI, but nothing about native 480p. Also, to me, the sets look exactly like the 81's.

14. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Well, the rep says that he'd heard that they will be DVI upgradable too, but it didn't seem to me that this was official information though. I'm sure this will be covered in the press releases if and when they're ever released!
    Cabinet designs, dimensions, etc. are all the same as last year (which were new for 2001). The only 'cosmetic' changes are that the 65" cabinets are now 2-piece so you can remove the top from the bottom to get it into tight spaces.
    Definitely NO 480P native. At least in the non-Cinema Series units (and most likely C.S. too)
    Other features are that TheaterWide modes now work for 1080i input; there's a new SurfLock feature that allows you to surf around to your heart's content, then press CH RTN to pop back to where you started; and a new 'Quick Connect Guide' that goes through the basics of set-up when you first turn the set on.
    *EDIT* Apparently, the sets will now accept a 720p signal too, but there is no mention of what it does with the signal. Does it convert to 540p or 1080i? Or does it actually display 720p (unlikely). The TheaterWide modes do not work with a 720p input.
    So far, prices (in Canada) are staying the same, but there's no pricing information yet on the 2002 Cinema Series models.
    Incidentally, the user manual has been posted for the non Cinema Series sets: http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu..._R2_ownman.pdf

15. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Crap-Balls. No native 480p...maybe I'll rethink my decision and go with another brand.

16. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

You had the same reaction I did... Poopy. I was hoping to do away with the 540 sillines and have native 480p. I think we were both eyeing the 57h82 (57h81 replacement right?). So which sets you eyeing as an alternative?

Peter

17. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Yah...you're spot on, Peter. I was jumping at the 57H82...but now, hmm...I dunno. And I'm not sure about alternatives either...I suppose Sony's and Hitachi's around the same size...but crap, no clue about the quality of those sets.

I guess I might just drop down to the 50" range since there seem to be more TVs in that range to choose from.

What are your plans?

18. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Matt,
    Well I have two issues. One being which make/model but still thumbing between 1.78 vs 1.33. Actually one thing to note if you're checking the Sony's which is a bit questionable in my opinion. The 51"1.78 and the 53"1.33 have the same price and same picture width. basically the 51" is just the 53" with the screen shaved off the top. The widths of the pictures are the same. So if that's the case I'd rather get a 1.33 set for all my 1.33 DVDs ie: Kubrick, Kurosawa, Simpsons [​IMG] I've had black bars for years and I can't say they bother me, so used to it. Added to this Canada is going to lag behind the states for 100% conversion HD. Sooooo... I'm thinking a 1.33 set up here will be good for 5+ years and I'll still have the hardware to display HD.
    But what I'm looking at and hang ups
    Toshiba - New models coming soon, wanted 480p
    Sony - Some not impressed with the line doubling for cable.
    Hitachi - Forget the complaints, but read of several people here returning and opting for sony or Toshiba it seems.
    Panasonic - Good friend has the PT-56WX51 and had burn. Friend at a dept store had to replace their floor model for burn and has had customers saying they burn easy. Plus I don't seem to read much of their sets here, not too sure why.
    I have to double check which ones do 480p... Been looking online for the past week and havn't done any in store demos. Wanted to narrow down then go in with my player and my reference on a slow weekday afternoon to compare then make the purchase.
    I think that's about it [​IMG]

19. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Extra

Interesting...in the index of the user manual they have a reference to "DVI connection", pointing to page 8. However, on page 8, there is no mention of DVI.

20. Sawyer

Sawyer Auditioning

Adam:

Is the 57HLX82 on the 2002 list? What is the MSRP?

This will be the hottest RP HDTV on the planet come Q4.

Thanks.