New Toshiba 55HX70 Observations and Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Walther, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Paul Walther

Paul Walther Agent

I've also posted this at "The Spot" so please forgive the duplication.
    I've been lurking here for a couple years now and finally got the chance to get a Toshiba set and join the big screen club. No, it won't do the squeeze on Anamorphic DVD's, but since my family's viewing is 85% OTA, 15% DVD, it seemed the proper trade-off. It WILL squeeze HDTV 1080i however, and quite well from what I've seen. First some notes of my experience so far:
    1. Out-of-the-box, surprisingly good once switched to 'Movie' mode. Production date is May 2001.
    2. After a couple days run-in I did Avia calibration and found most the settings to be close to 'Movie' mode- my contrast being higher, however, than most of you have been succesful with (about 45) and brightness in the 58 range. Results after Avia very good indeed.
    3. LOVE the line doubler. Watched the new Full screen DVD of "Glory" and was delighted at how film-like the image was. Completely free of artifacts. This sold my wife that we'd made a good choice.
    4. Geometry was amazingly good (surprise, surprise) as was overscan when checked with the Avia grids.
    5. (The Down Side) Anamorphic DVD's, especially 2.35:1, show the dreaded 'jaggies' that I believe are DVD player down-conversion artifacts and the expected loss of detail. Player is a Tosh 2150 via component cables.
    Over-all, though, we're very happy so far.
    Now the questions!
    1. Has anyone had luck finding a working link to a service manual pdf on this puppy? I've found the 43HX70, 56H80, and 40H80, but not this one.
    2. After 100 hours of running time I'm ready for the service convergence and electrical/mechanical focus challenge. Any tips for this particular model?
    3. Any tips on a DVD player with REALLY good down-conversion so my anamorphic DVDs will lose the "dancing jaggies"? Unfortunately it needs to be relatively cheap. Will a progressive player help in this regard?
    4. Do we know yet if SVM is disabled in 'movie' mode, or should I go for the kill and unplug it?
    5. Any hope of a cheap fix to trick the 'squeeze' for anamorphic DVD's? I know an HTPC outputting 540p is an option, but that's out of our league for awhile.
    Sorry for the length but I had a lot to get off my chest. Thanks to everybody in the forum for the insight you've shared so far.

2. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Congratulations on your new set. I have the 50HX70. It's been tweaked, tweaked, tweaked (including grayscale) and I can say that it is capable of excellent image quality. Some comments and answers...

3. Paul Walther

Paul Walther Agent

WOW! Thanks so much for taking the time for such an insightful reply- much appreciated. I've heard on occasion about the Cinematrix mod player but never really looked into it- I'll check it out thoroughly. I share your concern about the Sony player trading detail for "smoothness". Any model numbers from the Pioneer or Panasonic line that you recall being well reviewed?
    I too was surprised by the Avia results on contrast and brightness. I've used this on other sets with lower results. When I try the usual recommended low settings I get a VERY dark picture with detail lost in the shadows. Not sure what's up here.
    Regarding SVM, I was also suspicious of the Preference save adding it all over again. Out it goes!
    Is 100 hours too soon to do a focus and service convergence? I'll try the "string method" you suggest. Is there any particular problem to getting the screen off? That scares me a bit.
    Glad you're enjoying the 50HX70; that's the set my wife really wanted, especially for the price ($1799 after a 10% coupon at HiFiBuys). I kept recalling the posts here that said to get one size bigger than you think you'll need. So far, so good.
    Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, and happy viewing!
    P.W.
    ------------------
    DocW

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

5. Tim P

Tim P Auditioning

Thanks for the help on my other post guys, appreciate it. I would like to ask Jay where is the website for "Errols HDTV"? I have done several searches and come up empty for that site. is it the Keohitv site?
    I am curious about the cover you had mentioned in my previous post. Sorry but a little tough to imagine. I see the cut out over top of the lens(with 3 cut outs)which covers the whole cavity, granted. Then on the top is an extention piece? Like a brim on a baseball cap effect over the lens(light reflection downward)?
    What is the Avia calibration you are mentioning? I know of the video essentials dvd basic HT setup, is this also a dvd rptvhdtv setup guide?
    Man, I am such a Newbie...DOH!
    thanks again for the help and guidance!

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

7. Nathan_H

Nathan_H Stunt Coordinator

Lest someone stumble across this thread via a search and get the impression that an HTPC can output a 540p singal that the HX70 series likes, I should note that I have yet to find someone actually doing it! I've got one that I use for PVR, etc., and while Powerstrip is a great piece of software, and the concept of outputting 540p to one of these Toshibas is right on the money, the reality is that the Toshibas are mighty finiky and I have yet to get anything other than 640x480 at a 480p timing to look alright. That is, they'll accept a 540p timing, but display it in very funky ways -- and even the support folks at entech don't seem to know what's going on!

8. Nathan_H

Nathan_H Stunt Coordinator

With the help of forums like this one I tracked down the problems I (and a few others it sounds like) was having: the HIT setting in the service menu was WAY OFF for the HD portion of my TV. Fixing that has set me on the trail of a solution. There's still a lot of minor tweaking, but the big problem I had encountered appears to have simply been a very poor factory setting!

By the way, I should say that the support folks at entech, while they couldn't have anticipated (or solved) the Toshiba factory setting problem were very patient with trying to rule out problems on the HTPC end.