What's new

New Toshiba 50HDX82 arrival. (1 Viewer)

Seth_R

Auditioning
My Toshiba RPTV was delivered yesterday! My first big screen television! I tried my best to follow the primer and get everything setup for the initial warm-up of the CRTs. The factory contrast was set to 100 (ack!), so I lowered to down to a more conservative 30. Wow, what a difference from my little 27" RCA TV. The quality is like night and day!

I purchased a progressive scan DVD player to add to the experience, and set up the following:
-Output to 16:9
-Dolby 5.1 out to receiver
-DTS out to receiver
-SVM off for the TV
-3:2 pulldown enabled via Film in the TV

The only question I was for pic size:
Pic size is set to FULL for my attempt at correct anamorphic WS display (I thought it would be NATURAL, but that produced side bars even on Widescreen content). The description for FULL says, however, that the "picture is non-uniformly enlarged" which kind of worries me. Am I doing this correctly?

-Seth

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Congrats on the 50HDX82 I have had my 57HDX82 for about 2 weeks now and am In total bliss every time I sit down in front of it.

Dave Poehlman gave me some advise... in this thread

If you haven't already, get Avia and set up your picture. I've found the colors much more natural since I ran my AVIA. Also, I found a few geometry issues with mine out of the box that I was able to "eyeball" back into shape by getting into Service mode and doing a 56 pt convergence.

Check out the Toshiba section at www.hdtvoice.com & www.hometheaterspot.com , gobs of info there.
I have been using the (dang cant remember what they call it) Theater View 1 for DVD's and one of the other views for broadcast TV. You should be able to tell what picture size is the actual ratio and which ones are stretched.

Maybe someone with more experience with their HDX80 will ring in with their .02!

BTW what Prog. Scan DVD player did you get? Im still waiting for my Tosh SD3815... been on back order for ever.

Congrats and enjoy :D

Seth_R

Auditioning
Thanks for the info, Chris! I'll check out your links to make sure I'm doing everything right.

To answer your question, I picked up the Sony DVP-NS715P for $149 at Best Buy. Cheaper than some, but great reviews.

-Seth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks