What's new

New Toshiba 50h82---Sharpness and Ghosting (1 Viewer)

David King

Stunt Coordinator
I was reading about my new TV over on another forum where an ISF trained guy said the sharpness should be turned downed to 0. He also stated that the ghosting will still appear at the right of an image as with previous Toshiba models.
So I decided to play around with mine and I noticed the ghosting is hardly noticeable once the sharpess is up to around the 40 range. Now sure increasing the sharpness adds a little line enhancement, but exactly how far should this be taken? Should it be taken to the point (where IMO) it compromises the picture?
With Sharpness at 0 the ghosting flat out drove me nuts in the 5 minutes I watched it. Both pictures below are exactly how the image appears on my set to my naked eye.
Sharpness 0:

Notice the large shadow at the back of the head that is not present in the image below with the sharpness at its default 50 mark
Sharpness 50:

Here are links in case the mods need to remove the pics due to bandwidth concerns:
Sharpess 0
Sharpness 50
Full screen shot from the scene in Shrek that I took this picture from:
scene
I'm just curious what peoples opinions are on this. I would not be able to live with my set if the sharpness had to be at 0

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I have nothing technical to add. However, the shot on the bottom is definitely more acceptable and cleaner than the one on the top. Very interesting...

Matt

Chris_MJ

Agent
I never understand when people say to turn the sharpness down to 0. It is virtually unwatchable.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Agreed, I find the picture to be waaay too fuzzy. I have mine set to 40%. I have also heard from more than one person that the sharpness should be set to 0, regardless of the set. Although I understand the theoretical reason why this could give a better picture, this advice still does not work out for me.

Michael.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
You all (above posters) seem to be well informed about sharpness/edge enhancement, so I think the ISFers, et al., have done their job well.

Ultimately it's your set and you should set it the way you like it.

Personally, though I'm still experimenting, I'm finding that I like a little EE but that setting sharpness higher than about 10 gives noticeable ringing.

Jan

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
AVIA and VE both have patterns for setting sharpness. On these patterns you reduce sharpness until the "ghosting" is mimimized and no further. I've used them on one direct view and 3 rptvs. None of them looked best with sharpness at 0. I've been able to raise sharpness to anywhere from 15% to 40% depending on the set.

When discussion of the ghosting issue on Toshibas was at it's height over at Home Theater Spot, the consensus was that it was minimized at about 30-40% sharpness, and actually got worse at very low to 0 settings.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I remember reading a review of a Toshiba in a magazine a couple of years ago and the author mentioned that Toshiba's sharpness control does not work in the traditional sense. Sorry, but I don't recall the details. An exception to this is last years H81 series. The Sharpness control on these models DID behave 'traditionally'.

Using the Needle Pulse pattern on my Sencore VP300 pattern generator, I agree that a Sharpness setting of 40-50 is correct on the H82s. I'm using 45 to be exact.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks