New Toshiba 50H81 owner has curious question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy_M, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    OK, I'm a little confused here. Just set up my new Toshiba 50H81, and set my Sony S570D DVD player's TV type to 16:9 (uses component video into HD1). Seems I have to change the Picture Size from Normal to one of the Theater Wide modes (or Full) to view a wide screen DVD, and I must change it back to Normal to watch a 1:33 to 1 DVD without stretching.
    I guess I thought this would happen automatically.
    I found that Full mode works best when watching an anamorphic widescreen DVD, and Theater Wide 1 works best when viewing a non-anamorphic disc. As stated above, I have to manually change to Normal mode to watch old (1.33 : 1) films on disc, as when I view cable or VHS.
    Is this the experience of owners of this set, or am I missing something?
    If one does need to adjust the Pic Size control each time the program changes, do you concur with my suppositions above?
    Thanks.

2. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    You always have to switch between screen modes. The problem here is that you are thinking of the 4:3 setting as "normal". But it's not any more "normal" than any of the others. It's just one of the 5 screen settings on your tv (3 theaterwide, full, and 4:3), and like all the others it has to be switched to or from.
    Also - yes, the reason anamorphic DVDs look best in Full is because that's the mode that you are supposed to use with them. Full mode "unsqueezes" anamorphic DVDs.
    Steve - who has two Toshiba 16:9 TVs.

3. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    PS - Non-anamorphic DVDs should be viewed in Theaterwide 2, because that mode "stretches" the picture equally in all directions. Theaterwide 1 stretches the picture horizontally (objects near the left and right sides of the screen will be distorted/stretched) but not vertically.

4. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Thanks, Steve...once I got that puppy adjusted out of "Torch Mode" (100% contrast, etc), the picture looked marvelous.