New Toshiba 42H81!! Pixelation? Tips?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_Sny, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Scott_Sny

Scott_Sny Auditioning

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I just purchased a Toshiba 42H81 and a Sony DVP-NS700P.

I have heard conflicting reports regarding Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within as being a good 'test' dvd for video. Some say it is the best, others say it is kind of rugged, grainy and pixel-y. Which was intentional by the creators but doesn't come over well as a video test. Thoughts? Any favorite movies that have great quailty video?

My set is showing some pixelation on this DVD and so I wanted to make sure it wasn't my set. I'm going to run Avia tonight to see if that help clears up some quailty issues.

Otherwise I love the set so far. Does anybody have any advice or tips for me with regards to it? Settings to turn off/on etc.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

Scott

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Turn the contrast and brightness down to about 20% of factory settings. Then start with Avia

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

My 40H80 exhibited this problem. In some scenes of various material, I could see the pixelation, or "banding" (where slight variations in brightness of colour, like in clouds or smoke, may not look uniform, but show definite bands of shades). Getting my set professionally ISF calibrated has fixed the problem. I ws stunned. Your mileage may vary.

Martin.

4. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Hey Scott, I think one of the best DVD's I have seen so far to judge picture quality is, The fifth element (Super Bit).

This one will give you a great idea of how good your picture can look, and it may be a good choice for finding the best settings for your new Tosh.

All the best,

Roy.

5. Scott_Sny

Scott_Sny Auditioning

Thanks! I will look into the 5th Element this weekend. I Have some free rentals at Hollywood Video so its time to get some demos [​IMG]
    I used avia to do some calibrating and it really helped out my set. The brightness/contrast were still too high for FF so I turned them down even lower and most of the grain dissapeared, all that is left is intentional "film" grain that was added.
    Can't wait for an ISF!
    Scott

6. Jody Carbone

Jody Carbone Auditioning

Final Fantasy, while a digital creation, actually induced graininess to give it a filmlike quality. It is not an excellent reference quality disk. Is your DVD player progressive-scan? If so, any of the superbit DVD's would be excellent reference quality, as well as the standard release of The Fifth Element. Others include Moulin Rouge, Gladiator, Toy Story & Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life, Cast Away, The Matrix, The Perfect Storm, among many others.

By the way, if you don't have a progressive scan DVD player, speedboat, don't surf, to your nearest online retailer and pick one up! You will be doing yourself and your new set a great favor.