What's new

New Toshiba 36'" Flat screen - glossing help?! (1 Viewer)

William K

Stunt Coordinator
OK.. I bought 2 weeks ago a new 36" Flat Screen Toshiba (36af43) and I love it... love it .... love it!! Perfect for my needs!

However, I have noticed a small area in the edge of the screen where the screen has a slight discoloration only noticable when that area is showing bright light colors such as a white sky or pale yellow. In darker hues the difference is not noticable. Is this what I've heard to as "glossing"? It is faint, my wife hasn't noticed it, but I see it. The hue is a small spot creeping from the edge of the screen and shows as a faint bluish purple in these light colors. It does not change size.

When viewing letterbox it isn't even noticable for obvious reasons. Only when watching broadcast stations and cable.

Is there something I can do without having to borrow a truck and lug this 200 lb TV to get serviced?? That is my last resort if it really gets on my nerves.

Any advice offered would be appreciated! maybe even if I set the colors on contrast and such to better settings. I welcome recommendations on that as well.

Thank you.

Bill

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Bill, are your speakers magnetically shielded? What you describe sounds like the chroma distortion caused by strong magnetic fields -- usually caused by unshielded speakers.

William K

Stunt Coordinator
My closest speaker to the set is my center channel which is on the "bridge" above the set in the entertainment unit.

I never had a problem with my old set with the speakers (sony) and always assumed they were shielded. Maybe this is the problem?

You can see in the picture here the relation of the speaker to the set (although you can't see the discoloring here).

If it is the speaker... I'll take suggestions on how to resolve this without losing my center channel.

Thanks!

Bill

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, since that's a dedicated unit designed as a center-channel speaker, it is most likely shielded. But magnetic interference seems to be in play here.

You can run an experiment, but it would involve removing that big, bulky, heavy set out of its cabinet. Simply repositioning the display might result in a change to the chroma distortion; monitors are quite sensitive to the planet's magnetic field.

You can also unplug the unit for a while (say, a half hour or so) and then, when turning the unit back on, let the set's degaussing circuit work its wonders.

William K

Stunt Coordinator
Instead of moving the 200lb set, wouldn't it be just as good for me to move the speaker away and see if that changes things?

William K

Stunt Coordinator
Yea, it is shielded and didn't make a difference.

I don't really have a choice as to what wall the unit is on and it pretty much has o live there. I guess there is no point on moving it to see if it goes away, 'cause if it does I only have to put it back!

Is there anything I can do with any setting to help lessen this effect??

Bill

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, as I said, this appears to be magnetically induced chroma distortion -- and I should advise you that such distortion, if allowed to continue, can (most likely will) become permanent. And you don't want to ruin that nice new HD-capable display.

Have you tried unplugging the set and then doing a cold start, so that the unit can degauss?

William K

Stunt Coordinator
By the way Jack.... I never said thanks! You've been the only one responding to my inane questions and I really appreciate you taking the time to do so!

Thank you!

Bill

StevenFC

Second Unit
Maybe you should try the tried and true method that Grandpa swore by. A good whomp on the side.:D

It does sound like magnetic interference for sure. Could just be a defective set though. I would just try and shield the side of the tv with something and see if that stops the interference. If the disturbance doesn't move at all I would say it's the set. In my experience, any kind of magnetic disturbance will normally shift around a little bit--depending on the nature of the interference at any given time.

But if it were me, I'd want to talk to the people I bought it from before I made any decisions. I would expect that they would have a professional you could talk to on site. And you might be able to talk them into repairing it in your home or at least pick it up for you since it is a high dollar item.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
William, if the plugging/unplugging option doesn't work, what else is in the room with the Toshiba? Also, what's on the other side of the wall in the room next to it? Are you running other electrical devices nearby?

Finally, given that magnetically induced chroma distortion can become permanent, you have to reach a decision in the remaining two weeks of your dealer's return policy. It could be that the set is defective, but I'd try to eliminate all possible sources of interference in the house this weekend.

Keep us posted.

William K

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

The other side of the wall is the outside of the house and it is an addition, so there isn't really anything running thru that wall.

As far as other nearby items? In each corner of the room about 6 to 7 feet from the TV are the front speakers. Under the TV is the playstation and VCR (Mitsubishi). Next to the set on the shelves is the sterio system (Sony), and DVD (Toshiba). Behind me in the rear corner is a Sony Sub. Aside from lamps... that's it. There are no other electrical equipment in the room.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks