New Toshiba 26HF84 TV..what display setting should I use for each of my viewings

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Eric.T, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Eric.T

Eric.T Auditioning

Hey guys, just got this new tv and was wondering what display setting I should set it for for dvd watching, 4:3 tv viewing, and video games playing.

The different display settings are:

1. Normal
    2. Theaterwide 1
    3. Theaterwide 2
    4. Theaterwide 3
    5. Full

I know different people have different tastes in what they like to view their tvs at. But I was just wondering if anyone else had this tv and what they watch and play them at. Thanks guys.

2. JudgeC

JudgeC Auditioning

I have that TV, and it depends what you're watching. If it's a DVD (assuming it's amamorphic widescreen) always ALWAYS use Full. if it's anything else that's enhanced for 16x9 tvs (anamprphic) se full. If the image is not 16x9, Full will stretch it the full width and things will look..... stretched. If you don't mind the grey bars at the sides, you can view regular TV that's not 16x9 enhanced at Normal. If you're watching something that isn't 16x9 and has black bars at the top/bottom, try the Theaterwide modes. It's pretty much whatever looks best to decide to use 1, 2, or 3. The manual describes the differences. But none of them seem to be perfect in my opinion. either zooming in too much, or not enough. Unfortunately not enough games give the option of 16x9. (which is baffling considering GoldenEye for N64 had the option in 1997!) but some do, you just have to check. if it is, use Full, and it'll look great. If not, you can can either use Full, and have it be stretched, or use Normal and have it a square in the center of your screen. Hope this helped.

3. John S

John S Producer

I always look for circles.. Like a wheel, a sun, a clock perhaps. When the circles look like circles, those are the acceptable settings for any given source / material in my book.

4. Eric.T

Eric.T Auditioning

Thanks guys...like I said I didn't really know what aspect to have it in. I think watching regular tv I will go ahead and use T-wide 1 and playing games I will use the Full one. So you think I should use Full when watching movies too? I have a progressive scan dvd player so I am going in on 1080i and I don't think Full uses that does it?

5. TedM

TedM Extra

One other note, the manual doesn't correctly tell you what "natural" does. As I just found out it always gives you grey bars on the side and is for use in viewing 4:3 undistorted ONLY! See my thread on "Toshiba 65HDX82 picture size".

Good luck with your new TV.