New Toshiba 20AF42

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshF, Apr 16, 2002.

1. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Just picked up this set this weekend, thinking I was going to get the 20AF41, but apparently this is the new model for this year. Anyone know what Toshiba changed? As I don't have the 20AF41, I'm unable to really compare.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Where did you get it from? I didn't find any 42s on even the Toshiba website. Does the new model do the widescreen squeeze without having to enter the service menu? I remember reading somewere that the new Toshibas will have that feature.

3. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Haven't seen the 16x9 mode available in the main menus, but I will look for it. I'm pretty sure, however, that it's not there, as I would have noticed, and have gone through all the menus.

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Josh, I have the 20AF41 as my small living room tv (WAF limited the size of the living room tv since we have a bigger one in the home theater/den room [​IMG] ). If you can post the specs, I can tell you what is different. My experience with the set has been good. I probably summed up last summer what I found but I can do it again now:
    10-15 percent red push.
    very hot grayscale i.e. very blueish. I toned this down somewhat by eyeballing it but a color analyzer would be the best.
    high contrast picture (I have my contrast set to 15 out of 63).
    holds black level well.
    geometry problems on the right hand side. I fixed these as best I can and since then haven't really noticed them at all.
    cheers,
    --tom

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Thomas:

I got the 20AF42 for the bedroom, and the GAF was pretty high as the previous set was dying a pretty ugly death (weird overscan stretch issue).

I noticed that the contrast was pretty hot, and already eyeballed this. I'll get around to using Home Theater Essentials DVD on it, but it's really not that big of a deal to me for this size of TV. I don't even have a DVD player in the bedroom yet. With 200 channels of DTV, there are always plenty of options, and the living room HT gets the DVDs.

6. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

So I checked all the menus last night, and I definitely could not find a widescreen, 16x9, squeeze mode. Mind you, I only have the 20", so this could be on the 24, 27 or 32-inch versions of the AF42s.

It's definitely not on mine, however.

7. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Thanks for confirming that. It was just something I read somewhere, don't even remember where any more. Also, it's definitely possible that they left it out of the 20".

Would you mind telling me where you bought this unit, and if you know, how are the 42s prices compared to the 41s? I noticed Best Buy has the 27A41 on sale, so I wonder if that means they're getting ready for the 42.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

9. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I bought it at J&R in NYC for $299. I knew I could have ordered the 41 online for $259 from BestBuy, but after shipping and waiting for UPS while I should be at work, it wasn't worth it.

10. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Thanks, I'll check the J&R website.