What's new

New Tosh 50H80 - where should I start? (1 Viewer)

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy all -
I just took the plunge and had a new Tosh 50H80 delivered today. Even with the factory settings I'm dang impressed with this set. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should do off the bat to maximize the picture quality? I remember reading about 9pt & 56 pt convergence adjustments, but as the search is down I can't dig that info up.
Thanks for the help
Pete

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Peter;
If you don't have one already, go and pick up a copy of The Avia Guide to Home Theater or Video Essentials. You can probably find one of these at Best Buy. (I prefer Avia myself by the way.)
Both discs feature video test patterns that will tell you how you should set basic video controls (Color, Tint, Brightness, Contrast, and Sharpness). Even though the adjustments are pretty simple, the results are very dramatic. Before you do anything else, I suggest you do buy one of these discs and use it.
After that, you can work with convergence modes. As you noted, there are two types: the 9 point mode and 56-point mode. The 9-point convergence adjustment is accessible via your TV's main menu. Check out your manual to find out more.
Getting into the 56-point convergence grid requires a bit more work. It's a more advanced setting that can get you a much better image... if you know how to adjust it properly. You'll actually have to go into the service menu to reach this grid though. You can find out how to get into the service menu and the 56-point convergence grid at this link . Click on the Toshiba Tips and Tweaks link to find out more. It's a very informative site that can give you a lot of good ideas regarding what you can do with your new Toshiba.
Glad to hear you're liking the set!
------------------
-J.Fo
"Why do I always get a warped one?"

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice Jeffrey - that's a very helpful page of links. The first thing I did do when I got it was to turn the contrast way down. The prospect of burn-in is frightening if you've ever seen a set with a bad case of it.
I'm particularly impressed with the TW1 setting - the stretching is very well executed. That certainly eases my mind with regards to watching 4:3 content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks