1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New Tosh 46" HD Wide - Help!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChadM, Oct 28, 2003.

1. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

I have not posted in a while, but a recent purchase made me "get cookied" again.

I just got the 46" Tosh. and was wanting to get some advice on how to set this thing up until I had time to calibrate properly.

I have turned down brightness and sharpness upon taking out of the box, but nothing else. I must say I am in awe of this thing already - Directv is very decent on it (in full mode) and dvd's are amazing! No doubt with some tweaking it will only get better.

Can someone give me general settings for Contrast, Sharpness, etc.?

Also, can someone explain the other features like ALS, film/video and such so that I have everything set correctly?

Thanks so much,
    Chad (finally entering the 16:9 world) M

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

You are supposed to turn down contrast ... not brightness. Turning down brightness does nothing for you except crush your black detail.

Just quickly use a test disc and run through the user setting changes. Should take about 5 minutes.

Of course there is a user manual as well. [​IMG]

regards

3. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

chad, what are your impressions of this set....i'm thinking of getting this or the 51inch but (i know this isn't the most important thing) i like the look of the 51 inch set a lot better. Would appreciate any feeback on the set.

matt.

4. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Matthew,

I am giddy over it. Going from a 35" analog Sony to this is a big leap. That being said, I have not had time to really mess with the thing (maybe this weekend). Hell, I am not even sure I have it hooked up correctly (I am basically an idiot about electronics, even though I read this forum quite a bit).

My thoughts on the 51" are that if you have the space go for it (options and such being the same). My decision on the 46" was made for me because I have a biult in media niche and the TV has to fit there. My brother has the 57" and has been really happy with it (then again, I hook up his stuff because he literally has no clue).

I'll post more after making sure I have it hooked up properly, running VE and figuring out some of the settings.

Chad

5. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

One more question:

I have the DVD player set to 16:9. For an anamorphic DVD should the TV be set to NATURAL or FULL? I thought it would be natural, however I am getting gray bars on the side (for the Matrix Reloaded). What gives?

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Chad,
    Use "Full" for anamorphic widescreen DVD's.
    Use "TheaterWide 2" for non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's.
    Use "Natural" for Academy Ratio (4:3) DVD's.
    Use "Natural" for 4:3 TV for OAR or use the stretch mode of your choice.
    Use "TheaterWide 2" for widescreen TV (ER, Angel, etc.).

7. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jeff!

8. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

I was going to buy the 46" because I thought my wife would have a fit over the 51" (because of space) but she saw it, and liked it so that's what I went with. PQ and features are pretty much identical between the two... main advantage of 46", stand with space to put stuff, main advantage of 51" - bigger [​IMG]

9. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

thanks chad....can't wait to hear more about it. I think the 51" would look huge in my space...the 46" would be great.

mike, isn't the stand optional? Is it even out yet?

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Chad, are you sure you've got the widescreen version of the movie? [​IMG]

In my testing, you'll see the sharpest image with a regular (non-progressive) signal. The TV will take this and up-convert it to 1080i. It'll also perform automatic aspect-ratio detection and go into the proper viewing mode automatically (only works with a 480i input).

I love the image on my 46H83 (fully calibrated, of course). It's very detailed and very natural looking.

11. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

well mine won't be calibrated until February when Michael Chen gets back to Ontario [​IMG]

The stand is optional... it is actually being included free (a $200CDN value) at many retailers in Canada (including Best Buy and Future Shop)

12. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The stand was included in the purchase price of the TV right from Toshiba, but they've since changed that and it's now a seperate item.

Mike, if your schedule doesn't work out with Michael's, I too am a professional calibrator. I calibrate all the TVs I sell, and also do work on the side, so my experience with Toshiba's is quite vast.

14. Paul Slund

Paul Slund Extra

Chad.

You need to have the TV's viewing mode set to full in order to take advantage of the anamorphic DVD, because the true signal on the DVD is vertically squished. Setting the TV to full will stretch it out properly. To test this, play the DVD in natural...you'll see how the image takes up the whole 4:3 screen, but the images appear tall and sleek. If you're using a 4:3 set (with the DVD player set to 4:3), the player itself compresses the image horizontally and includes the black bars on top and bottom. Check out the "ultimate guide to anamorphic DVD" at thedigitalbits.com. it cleared everything up for me re: anamorphic DVD.

15. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

Thanks for the explanation - everything is becoming clearer now. As I stated above, my question came more from my expectation of what setting to use, rather than anything I was seeing. I also noted the tall and sleek appearance that you mentioned.

Thanks again.

All,
    I ordered DVE today and that should help me begin to properly adjust the settings.

I'll post after that for those of you considering the set like Matthew.