What's new

New Tool in January? (1 Viewer)

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I've heard the album and it reminds me of Lateralus. I'm not sure if what I have is the complete and final product that will be released on May 2nd, but it is Tool.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I agree, with a little APC tossed in there as well at times.

I liked Lateralus, but not nearly as much as I liked Aenima and especially Undertow. At first listen, 10,000 days didn't blow me away, but I can see it growing on my much the same way Lateralus did and I'm going to happily purchase it on release day.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Upon first listen, I made the mistake of dubbing the new album Lateralus Part II. After further listens, I really like the album and it is different in many ways. Not as different as Opiate and Lateralus are, but definitely not the same either.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I made a futile attempt to purchase tickets to Tool's show on May 21st in Boston but they were sold out within three minutes. The "brokers" and Ebay have plenty in stock and that was before the onsale at 10am. Us regular fans are going to be priced out of almost every show from here on in.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
"I've heard the album and it reminds me of Lateralus. I'm not sure if what I have is the complete and final product that will be released on May 2nd, but it is Tool."

I agree, I am listening to it now, and I hear a lot of Lateralus-type riffs, and even one song that reminded me of a part of "Third Eye". The pitch of MJK's voice seems off on some songs, so perhaps what I am listening to isnt finnished, either way, Im purchasing it. One of my favorite songs so far is "Right In Two". along with "Vicarious" and "The Pot". The album seems very bassy (and I dont mean "a lot of DEEP bass")

"I made a futile attempt to purchase tickets to Tool's show on May 21st in Boston but they were sold out within three minutes. The "brokers" and Ebay have plenty in stock and that was before the onsale at 10am. Us regular fans are going to be priced out of almost every show from here on in."

They will come back around again Im sure, they did during the Lateralus tour.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Yep, no doubt some Lateralus type riffs on there...It's funny, you mentioned what I also think are the 3 best tracks, especially The Pot, IMO anyway.

I've been listening to this on and off today at my computer, and I think it's very good. It's a little tame musically and lyrically IMO as far as Tool goes, but I'm heavily biased in favoring Aenima and Undertow over this and Lateralus.

Not sure how I feel about Wings for Marie and 10,000 days going back to back for 16 or 17 minutes combined. Bit too much of a lull for me.

On the ticket situation...I've never seen Tool live and have always wanted to, so I also find the ticket situation beyond frustrating. Scalping is worse now than it has ever been and it pisses me off. Oh well, guess I'll just settle for the live DVD rumored to be coming down the line.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If it makes you feel any better, this seems like a small theater tour so I doubt that they'll be rolling out the crazy production/lights/banners/ spectacle that adds to the music. This is a warm up to the big tour in the summer or fall. When you get to see them, you'll be mighty impressed.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I'd be happy seeing them in either small or large venue...I'm glad there is still hope for tickets on a summer/fall tour, but I'm skeptical of getting them.

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
Don't ask me how but I managed to get 4 tix for the Detroit show. I just did a screen refresh on ticketmaster at exactly 10:00.00 secs using http://www.time.gov/ but i'm sure it was just luck that got me the tix. It sold out in seconds.

The Fox Theater here in Detroit has got to be a great place to see/hear them.

The ebay prices are ridiculous. Stub Hub has tickets for the Dallas show for $8,500 each. Thats craziness.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Album is good, but agree that the interlude are sometimes too much. The Pot is growing on me. Bass line is catchy as hell.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Some of the tracks linger on a bit much, but on the whole, I'm not disappointed; I like it overall so far. Nice 2ch mix as always, evident on a number of the tracks. Much mellower than I was expecting.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Amazing a band with so much talent can make something so uninspired boring and mediocre.

Does every track need to have a techno, bongo echo chamber beginning.

I couldnt keep my hand of the fast foward button.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
1.5 listenings, and I'm really digging it. A lot of it is a bit different from what we've heard from them before, which won't work for everybody. But trying new things is (almost) always commendable.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
I think the only song on the whole album that sounds anything like aenima is the first song Vicarious. To be honest, after multiple listenings, it is my least favorite song on the album for that very reason. Wings for Marie and 10,000 days, songs 3 and 4 respectively, are my favorites with 10,000 days being a clear winner for best song on the album. It is long, but I can only imagine seeing them play it live. My understanding is that this song is about Maynards mother, who was paralyzed and wheel chair bound for 27+ years until her death, hence 10,000 days. I find it intersting that on my second favorite song on the album (2: Jambi) he references his affinity for the dark side and how some one turned him around and in 10,000 days obviously is referencing the xtian belief of the ever after and his mothers ascension to heaven. We all know about the gag awhile back where he supposedly quit Tool and was going to devote his life to Christ... ala Brian "Head" Welch from Korn. Either way I love this album for the songs it has, and hope they don't take so long making another one. I think he has said in a few interviews that APC is over, so maybe...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Neal Morse from Spock's Beard did the same thing (he actually quit the band to create religious music).

Strangely enough, Morse's solo stuff has generally been superior to recent Beard albums. . .

Faith Plus One! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks