New to Tivo & My Cable looks awful now

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Smigelski, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Todd Smigelski

Todd Smigelski Stunt Coordinator

Is this normal ? I'm ready to send this new series 2 back. I do not subscribe to satellite so that isnt an option. I'm using a 'RF in' into tivo and s-video out to my calibrated 65" rptv.

I'd rather watch my clean cable than go through the tivo box at this point. So what's the point ? Do I need satellite to take advantage of decent picture ?

Thanks

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

3. Todd Smigelski

Sorry no cable box or I would !!

4. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Son't forget, the Stand Alone TiVOs have 4 quality settings. Make sure you have an appropriate settings for your default recording quality.

If what you are seeing is when watching the live buffer, then I would also use better cabling and possibly add a signal amplifier/booster, etc.

Don't get discouraged. Should be simple to improve your PQ. TiVO is great and you will never go back.....

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Ditto what Jeff said.

I ran my Tivo with Satellite and an OTA antenna for two years with no problem. I just moved, and an OTA antenna is not an option, so I went with a lifeline cable subscription.

I had some issues with cable TV signal loss going through diplexors and a Panamax surge/lightening supressor, but now that those are sorted out (the Panamax was croaking the cable signal. Not sure why, as it was fine at the old residence, but it is temporarily out of the signal path), the PQ is good; not as good as satellite, but that is a function of my local cable signal, plus cable losses in my house.

Stay with it.....you will sort this out and begin to worship your Tivo!

BL

6. Todd Smigelski

Looks like I will be subscribing to Direct TV. I have a Direct TV tuner but i only use it for HDTV OTA at this point. Hence the purchase of a stand alone Tivo Series 2.

Hmmm... this means tivo will have to manage OTA, Satellite & Cable.

I know tivo cant do HD signals but I wonder if the tivo can output an OTA upconverted to 1080i signal ?

7. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

Tivo does nothing with HD, period. It can only process, Cable (or Off the air NTSC), Svideo or Composite video inputs.

I initaly bought a Series 2 tivo, and HATED the picture quality. IT does MPEG2 Conversion on the fly and really destroys the picture. I have 55 inch set and it showed everything it did bad.

I went to Tivocommunity.com and read up on the DirecTivo boxes and they are so so so much better.

1) record 2 programs at once
    2) compression is done at DirecTV side so picture out is the exact same as picture in.
    3) A 35 hour unit can really hold 25 hours of material at the best quality...much better than standalone.

If you are going to get locals off DirecTV, then send the Series 2 back and get the new Series 2 DirecTivo comming out in a week or two.

8. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Brian nailed it...the DIRECTivo's are so much better!
    Go to Circuit City and pre-order the new Hughes HNS-HDVR2 for only $199.99 (Some folks are even getting it for $189.99)
    I ordered mine yesterday...
    Hopefully, they will be released within the next couple of weeks (or sooner!)...but nobody is saying when exactly (yet).
    I already have (2) Sony SAT-T60's (both are DIRECTivo's) and I can't speak highly enough about them...they have been tremendous over the past couple of years. I just purchased a new house and the new Series 2 box will go into my new Home Theater/Bonus Room (as soon as I move in)!

9. Todd Smigelski

Brian,

i think your are right on the money and I am taking your advice on the Direct Tivo Series 2.

One problem, (& as mentioned above) I already have an expensive DirectTV HDTV tuner I use exclusively for OTA network HDTV.

Looks like an oval dish is needed and feed both the tuners in my rack.

Anybody know how much combo boxes are ?? Much appreciated.

10. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Series II Combo boxes (Hughes is the only one in production at the moment) will be cheaper than the existing Series I boxes (if you can even find them anymore).
    $199.99 (or $189.99) at Circuit City right now....
    here is a link for more info on the Hughes box...just don't pay the $299.95 they are wanting...go to CC and save $100 [​IMG]
    http://www.getasatellite.com/cyberst....asp?PID=HDVR2
    And here is a link from the TivoCommunity forums discussing the CC price of $199.99 ($189.99)
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=77948

11. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

It sounds like you have a HDTV, if you do you need to search this forum about calibrating for SDTV, even for the DTiVo. There will be artifacts in the SD DTV signal! I think you turn down the sharpness and contrast or something like that. I own 3 DTiVos but have a SD RPTV, I also own 3 SA TiVos. The SAs picture is most likely best on a 27" or smaller SDTV.(IMHO) Did you try the highest quality setting? Anyway the DTiVos are the way to go BUT they only record off the sat in SD. They do record and playback DD 5.1 (via toslink) when it is enabled and is broadcasted. I think you will find that tuning you TV and recording on the best quality setting will deal with a lot of the PQ problems on a SA TiVo. The DTiVos dont have quality settings because they dont encode they just record the bitstream from the sat then send it to a built in receiver for decoding. You should have 2 or 3 settings, DVD, TiVo/SD,and HD. Hope this helps, BTW TiVo will change you.[​IMG]
    I found a thread at the TiVocommunity about HDTV and calibrating here:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=78613