New to the forums and have a couple questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle Postler, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Kyle Postler

Kyle Postler Auditioning

Hi, i have been looking through the forums and seeing words like HT,DTV and such used and have been wondering what those stands for.

I just got a new 48" JVC Widescreen HDTV and have a few questions.

1. It has a VGA input on the back. I am wondering what that is for. I will be getting satilite soon and i don't wanna use RF cables. Are the VGA outputs on satilite recievers? I am not going to have enough money to get a HDTV reciever yet so i am hoping the satilite recievings have that VGA out and not the HDTV recievers.

2. I got the TV at Good Guys so i have 30 days to take it back if i don't like it. I got it for $1799 so i was wondering if there is any other TVs for that price that would be better.

3. I have a DVD player but it doesn't have PS output but it does have component output. How much of a quality difference is it?

4. Where can i get tests to tweak my tv or whatever?

Thankz, sorry if this might not be the right forum.

2. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

The VGA input on the back would be mainly used to hook the video output of a computer up to and a limeted amount of HDTV source equipment (ie HDTV tuners, HDTV Satellite tuner, etc).

The component output will be the best picture quality you will find on your DVD player aside from if it had progressive output which would still be component but changes how the TV scans the picture. So you'll want to use the Component Outputs to go to your TV.

3. Kyle Postler

Kyle Postler Auditioning

ok for the HDTV satilite tuner, does that have to have a built in HDTV reciever?

If so, then i am screwed,lol. I don't have the money for that because i see them going for $499 min.

Do you guys know of any that are cheaper then that?

4. JeremyFr

no the HD Satellite will have a component output that hooks into your primary component inputs on the TV providing your HD picture to the TV.

5. Kyle Postler

Kyle Postler Auditioning

so how much do those go for?

I am thinkin about getting the Direct TV package where i get two recievers and the satilite for free. Will those recievers work? I think i have to get the 18x24" dish to get HD signal right?

6. JeremyFr

if you're going to go satellite go dish Direct TV is horrid.

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

8. Kyle Postler

Kyle Postler Auditioning

ok so could you please list everything i would need to get HD on my TV right now if i went with Direct TV and how much that items might cost. I only have the HDTV right now. I want to make sure i get this all right before i start spending a lot of money. Thankz

9. BrandonB

BrandonB Agent

HT = Home Theater
    DTV = DirecTV

If you are a football fan, you HAVE to go with DirecTV. They have a lock on the NFL package. You can check out HD receivers at Circuit City and such. Best I remember, the HD receivers are in the $500+ area.

I have a regular RCA440D DTV receiver connected with an S-Video Cable and I think it looks pretty good. I'm not ready to step up to an HD receiver just yet.

10. Kyle Postler

Kyle Postler Auditioning

i think i am going to stay with my Time Warner cable because i have been looking at the threads saying i can get a HD reciver for free from them. The time warner bakersfield site must be down because it won't let me connect, it is driving me crazy [​IMG]