What's new

New to the forums and dvd world in general (1 Viewer)

David.Hagar

Auditioning
So this year I have found myself wanting to buy dvd's. Just felt like I needed to beef up my over all home entertainment selection.

Now I find myself purchasing three or four dvd's every week. Paycheck comes in, set aside a hundred bucks for dvd's.

It seems I cannot just purchase the "regular" edition of the dvd (granted I do prefer DTS so I tend to buy that version if offered). I find myself strangely attracted to the boxes. I really dig a pretty box. If a movie is offered in DTS through both "regular" edition and "collectors" edition, I have to purchase the more expensive one.

Recent example would be the Matrix collection. All the same dvd's but the casing for the Neo bust set is way cooler, heh.

Anyways, to my point. What are some of the more interesting packages you guys have seen on the shelves? My collection of movies pretty much covers the spread as far as genre's go.

Looking forward to some replies.

Late

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

You need to shop smarter if $100 only gets you 3 or 3 discs! :D

As for cool packaging. . .the Lord of the Rings sets, of course. The Universal Monster Legacy Collection is cool. The original release of Basic Instinct came in a clear plastic case with an "icepick" pen in it.

There's an anime set or two that come with action figures and such in 'em.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
If you want cool packaging look at other regions, such as the Japanese Alien quadrilogy head. I'm sure this topic has been discussed in another thread I'm just too lazy to search right now.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, welcome to the forum. Don't worry that thing you described in your first post is known as the sickness...most if not all of us have it.

As for cool packaging, I love the Monster Legacy collection that was mentioned earlier. Also before they became very popular I thought those real thing slimline cases, for stuff like Futurama and Family Guy were the coolest looking things ever. Not so novel when you've got tons of them though.

Yeah that Alien Quadrilogy packaging from Japan would just be cool to have...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Welcome to the Forums David!

Do you like David Cronenberg? Criterion released Videodrome not too long ago & it has an interesting package look, not using any odd material or anything but the design is in the likeness of a Beta Video cassette from the 80's....I thought it was kinda neat myself considering the story.:)

Anchor Bay's Book Of The Dead SE version of Evil Dead is pretty unique:
... as well as their wooden box SE of The Wicker Man.

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
Bought the Korean version of Dances With Wolves for my brother . It comes in a leather pouch designed to look like the main character's diary which is a nice touch .

But the most OTT fancy ass packaging in my collection has to be ...

David.Hagar

Auditioning
The Videodrome packaging looks really nice. They all actually look really nice. I am not sure what the last one with Jet Li(?) is, Hero?

Being a huge Evil Dead fan I have had the Necronomicon dvd in my collection for a couple years now. Used to only buy dvd's that I considered essential (or wore the tapes out on).

The hundred bucks would some times stretch out and get me four or five dvd's, sometimes it would only fetch me two or three, or one box set. Just on the average it is 3 to 4.

Harold, you say that purchasing foreign dvd's nets some really nice packaging, where is the best place to go to find imports?

Thanks for all of your replies.

Late

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey David....

Welcome aboard.

Seems like you have caught the DVD
virus that has afflicted all of us that
reside in this forum.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
David,

Welcome. DVD is definitely an addiction. I'm a graphic designer/marketing guy, so I'm a suker for a well-designed package. I can't tell you how many movies I've bought just because the packaging was cool. Of course, I usually ended up being a good movies. I've found as a general rule, bad movies don't have good packaging.

Welcome to the forum, it's the best around.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to HT Forum. You will find this to be one of the friendliest places to discuss DVD and Home Theater. I have been hanging around here since December 1998, when I caught the DVD "bug".

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, a friendly place to...t....HEY WAIT A MINUTE!!! ...COUPLE OF YEARS!?!?!? YOU AIN'T "NEW" TO DVD LIKE YOU SAID IN YOUR OPENING POST, YOU LYING LYING LIAR!!! YOU JUST WANTED TO GET A LOT OF RESPONSES TO YOUR NEWBIE THREAD!!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks