What's new

New to the forum, new to HT, couple questions about existing system (1 Viewer)

Paul Sawyer

Auditioning
I tried to do a bit of research before I dove into a new TV and stereo, but seemed like I recieved more "biased" opinions from the sites I visited. Too bad I didn;t land here first.

First, an honest critique of components I ended up purchasing if someone would, then a few questions about set-up and 7.1 surround.

Pioneer Elite PRO-730HD Monitor
Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX Reciever
Pioneer Elite DV-45A DVD player progressive scan DVD audio
Polk audio RC65i in wall speakers(7-c, r, l, rc, lc, rb,lb)
Polk Audio PSW450 sub(12")

My room is 15' x 25' and the system, monitor and entertainment center is on the 15' wall. Seating is about 15-18' away. Unfortunetely, due to the room layout this is as close as I can get and still walk through the room.

Any problems or deficiencies with these components?

I set up 7.1 surround with the in wall polks. Is there a list somewhere of 7.1 movies. I searched the media areas to no avail. Is there even an advantage to 7 speakers? Few movies so far even kick those speakers to play. Being somewhat "new" I thought 7.1 surround was the future, I just wonder if I listened too much to the sales guys at the places I comparison shopped. Any movies you recommend? I watched 2 fast 2 furious and it used the rear ones on occasion. What is this format for 7.1 denoted? THX-ES?

I have a small amount of static feedback in one speaker...is that a defect or a setting issue?

When setting up surround, what is the best volume level to set each speaker up at? They have max/min setting and I wondered if there is a room size standard?

Does the sub need to be backed up against a solid surface? Or does it not matter since the back just houses a port hole.

Thank you in advance.

Paul

Cagri

Second Unit
I will leave comments on your setup to experts, but about your question regarding setting up volume levels I suggest you to read the FAQ area of this forum. You'll need a ratshack SPL meter in order to properly adjust your individual speaker level settings.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe there are any movies recorded in 7.1. The system uses matrix decoding to formulate the signal sent to the extra channels, I believe. Lord of the Rings / Fellowship has the Harman company's Logic7 insignia on the back label, but I haven't heard why.

You have some nice components! No need to upgrade for a long time.

I don't know what to tell you about the static - a speaker will emit some hiss when active / no signal, that's normal, but it shouldn't be audible from more than a few inches or less away.

For the surround levels - You should get your hands on an SPL meter (Rat Shack) and one of the set up DVD's - Avia, Video Essentials, S&V, etc. The levels you need are wholly dependent on the room / AVR / Speaker combo and will never be the same between 2 systems. You'll also get video setup procedures that will make the TV look much better than stock. Also think about ISF calibration services for the display.

Keep the sub's port opening at least 3" away from the wall. It will only matter at hi volume levels, but port's need to breathe.

Good luck, and again - nice stuf!!

Paul Sawyer

Auditioning
Appreciate the replies guys.

One thing to note, the video essentials disc is good for the TV set up, but the reciever uses the mic port on initial set-up to read the room. Something I did a bit of research on. Must be a Pioneer thing?

I need to do the set-up again I am sure since I did it before carpet and the like.

Also appreciate the nod for the system component selection. I did some auditioning at the store, but I always wonder how at home it will sound. I've been impressed as have my friends. Plus in review here, I saw some negatives about Pioneer TVs. Everyone has their favorites I suppose.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
uses the mic port on initial set-up to read the room. Something I did a bit of research on. Must be a Pioneer thing?
This is a bit of a bonus feature for this receiver. Most of us just use the radio shack SPL meter. The Primer has instructions on how to level-adjust (which is what you are really doing).

Note: you want to run test-tones at about 75 db when you are doing the level adjustment. But you dont listen to movies with the volume set to this level. It's just too loud. You adjust the volume to-taste for each movie. (Dialog heavy movies you run a bit louder, action movies a bit softer because they zoom up in volume quite a bit).

Also, if you use 75 db for your speakers when level-adjusting, try to get the subwoofer to produce 80-85 db at that setting.

While you may hear some negative comments about Pioneer televisions, the Elite-Pro line is a bit different. The Pro line used to be the gold-standard for HDTV's. These televisions had the best line-doublers and internal circuitry. Now, most other brands do as good a job as the Pro lines used to, but Pioneer was ahead of everyone else for about 2 years. I wouldnt turn one down even today.

Sub Placement: You can search the Speakers and Subwoofers section, but in general:

- Corner-loading produces the most intense bass which is great for movies, but ... not accurate for music.

- Sometimes placing the sub 2/5 or 1/3 along a wall will smooth out the bass response.

- With the Radio Shack meter and a bass test-tone CD you can "map" your room response to various sub frequencies. This could be important to you because your room is 15x25 - multiples of 5 - which will over-emphasize some bass frequencies. Search the "Speakers" fourm for "House Curve" to find out how to do this, and some advice on how to tame peaks in the room response.

Other than that - you have a great system there so enjoy!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The Auto-MCACC brings the speaker levels close to equal levels, but I still needed to use my trusty SPL meter to get them perfectly calibrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks