New to the board......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tomflys, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Tomflys

Tomflys Auditioning

Okay here is my plan; I've owned home theaters in the past, but I'd really like to create one that is a "virtual surround sound" kinda like the bose 321. Starting from scratch...... I think i've got it all pretty much worked out except I'm not sure about the reciever. I've noticed a lot of newer DVD players now say Dolby I, II, THX, etc. But, now some of them are also saying "virtual surround" or "simulated surround" right on the DVD player. Will a basic reciever play these signals, even if it doesn't have the latest THX, DP II, or the simulated surround? Or does the reciever need these features as well? Thanks!

2. Tomflys

Tomflys Auditioning

Alrighty, I've been doing some research to my above post, and this is what I'd like to do, I'm way too poor for a really nice system, so I'm working on a budget. I've got an old panasonic reciever that is simply a dolby pro-logic unit. I'd like to just continue using this if possible. For speakers, I'd like to use the bose 161 bookshelves, now I know you all hate bose, but I've listened to them and I really like them. Oh, and my kenwood 150 watt powered sub. For the DVD player, I'm thinking about the SonyDVP-NS715P and the features are:

PRODUCT FEATURES
    480p progressive-scan video output, employing a 12-bit/108MHz D/A converter and component video outputs, for smooth, fluid images

3-2 pulldown capability faithfully reproduces the frame structure of film-originated DVDs

CD-R/RW and MP3 compatible

Block Noise Reduction reduces "blocks" of information that can occur while processing fast-moving or highly detailed images

Digital Video Enhancer controls unwanted video artifacts and improves contrast and picture detail

Digital Video Equalization with preset and user-adjustable settings to optimize picture quality

Digital Cinema Sound DSP reproduces the acoustic signatures of acclaimed Hollywood mastering stages

TV Virtual Surround creates a convincing surround sound experience using only two speakers

SmoothScan and SmoothSlow modes for clean slow-motion and high-speed playback

Precision Drive 2 system provides improved reading accuracy with imperfect, scratched or warped discs

Component video, S-video, composite video, stereo audio and digital audio outputs

Includes multibrand A/V remote

Plays DVD-R's and DVD-RW's as well as MP3's (which will be nice because then I can burn a million songs onto 1 dvdr and have a nice juke box, right?)

Now, do I need to have a reciever that has a DTS and Dolby Digital decoder, even though I'll only be using a 2.1 setup?

Thanks again for all your help!

3. EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz Stunt Coordinator

My friend: having a real good dvd player with a 2.1 setup it´s like owning a ferrari without the engine, áctual dvd releases come with excellent sound processing (DTS, Dolby digital EX), and for playing them in that way you must have a receiver that can handle this sound signals, and of course at least a 5 speaker arrange, otherwise you´ll see the movies (great picture with thata player you want), but tou won´t listen to them with full theatrical experience.

4. Tomflys

Tomflys Auditioning

Okay, maybe you misunderstood me then. I want a system that has no rear speakers, simply put...... the wife won't let me. In fact, she's not totally excited about ANY kind of home theater system at all, I want as much ear candy I can get with the least amount of visibility.

So, I just want a nice "virtual" surround sound system. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Tom, you have a very simple option available to you. Use the left and right analog outs from the DVD player, route them through your old ProLogic receiver, and connect your existing speakers. All DVD players are designed to provide a 2.0 mixdown from Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks (but not DTS), and many DVDs come with a separate 2.0 soundtrack, which you should select.

If you want to try any of the pseudo-surround effects included with some DVD players, go right ahead. I doubt you'll hear much difference.

Within your current constraints, it makes little sense for you to spend money on additional equipment. Like it or not, today's systems are geared to setups with rear surround speakers. Buying new audio equipment for the setup you've described would be a waste of money, IMO.

M.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

tom -

you're in a tough spot, since it sounds like you're only option is to use some sort of simulated surround. but i can tell you those things are gimmicky at best. in most cases they sound horrible.

it sounds like rear's are definitely out, so my next recommendation is to get yourself a new receiver and a center speaker.

at least that way you'll have 1/3rd ht. center speakers are really important as they help "anchor" the dialog to the screen. you'll be able to tell your receiver that you don't have rear speakers - the receiver will then route all the sound that would normally go to the rears to your front. so, you'll still hear all the sound, just not exactly from the right place.

so, in summary:

1. new receiver
    2. center speaker
    3. dvd player

but, if you're not up to getting a new receiver, then follow michael's hookup suggestion. you'll be able to use your existing gear and at least get stereo sound, which will still sound better than your tv's speakers.

7. Tomflys

Tomflys Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestions!

I listened to the Bose 321 a few months ago and it sounded great! I can hear the slamming starting already. I know the system is proprietary for them, but I was just trying to find a way to get similar sound without giving Bose twice what the system is really worth. But, I might take you up on the advise for adding the center speaker. Once I get all the components I might need some help as to how to run it for best sound........ so, I'll keep ya'll posted!

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

one more thing. ultimately it's up to you...if you like the way the bose sound, then go for it. you're the one that has to listen to it, so it may as well be something you enjoy!

good luck!

oh yeah, spend some time and read the beginner's faq at the top of this forum....there's lots of good info there.

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Tom,

This is rather serious. Your first replacement, I'm afraid, has to be your wife.

OK, kidding of course. Let her read about this all too. Let her hear and judge things. My wife LOVES the real experience of a HT, including the DD sound. We will be building a dedicated HT soon...
    There's really much chance your wife will start to enjoy that too. Even if she thinks now she won't.
    And don't forget the wow effect with your family, friends and neighbours. A Home Theater has a huge envy factor! Film, music, the experience will be so much more sophisticated, warm and cosy, it's a real enhancement to the home!

Cees

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

One of the reporters I work with is married to a woman who cannot stand surround sound. He says that she complains about rear-channel sounds giving her the "creeps." She prefers to listen to films in two-channel.

Imagine that.

11. Tomflys

Tomflys Auditioning

Actually we used to have a 5.1 HT a few years back. It was a budget model and she couldn't stand having the speaker wires running up the wall, and the speakers behind the couch. Needless to say the sound wasn't good enough to justify it either. So, in a way I think it's partially my fault for not setting up a decent HT the first time I had a chance. But, in my defense she is by NO means an audiophile...... she rarely listens to her radio in her car, and she's only put a cd in the player maybe once!

Tom

12. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

hehe my wife used to get buy with an RCA bookshelf system[​IMG] hehe well hell its what she had when she was in college needless to say we made by with it for a while and then of course I had to get back into a hobby I once enjoyed so much. I ended up starting out with a Sony STR-DE475 with a makeshift 5 channel system, (no sub since we lived in an apartment) at any rate she enjoyed it quite a bit but being as cheap and cheasy as it was the upgrade bug hit oh too soon especially once we got a larger T.V. and so forth. So for Christmas we decided to get a brand new system, my wife was not so keen on it she was of course using her usual "why cant you be happy with something for a while" thing so on and so forth. Needless to say she was working the day that I bought it all and I got it home and had it all setup before she got home. When she got home I had her sit down and listen to a few of our favorite movies/cd's and she completely heard the difference and loved it. She's not completely into HT like I am but she cant stand to watch or listen to something on a cheap system or TV speakers anymore[​IMG] hehe.

13. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I'm so happy I'm not married. I have speaker wires running all over the room, with these little nail brackets in random places around the room holding the wire in place. There's excess wire for the rear surround hanging down along the back wall. I also have big speakers. It's kind of a mess, but the sound is wonderful. Watching the Super Bowl in DTS NEO-6 was awesome.

As for "virtual" surround, it really doesn't work. Still, front speakers - no rears - will at least provide better sound than just your TV's speakers. Just go with a nice front-focused system.

14. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Take a look beyond Bose... PLEASE.

I don't like being the Bose police, but really, Bose rips you off. :/

Stay with a regular 2-channel setup, and just make sure you have nice speakers. Take a look around. Paradigm, JM labs, B&W, Rega. They're out there, you just need to go beyond the big-box chains, and those pathetic little Bose stores in malls everywhere.

15. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons