New to subwoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andrew:S, May 25, 2004.

1. Andrew:S

Andrew:S Extra

Hey I just got my SVS PB2-ISD for my first home theater and I have no idea how to hook it up.

Currently my system is:
    2x Paradigm Titan up front
    2x Paradigm atom in the back
    1x Paradigm CC-270 as a center
    1x NAD T753 Receiver
    1x SVS PB2-ISD

I got all the speakers to work, but I don't want to risk fiddling around with the sub.

So anyway, how do i get this baby to purr?

2. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

RCA subwoofer/LFE out on the NAD, to one of the RCA ins on the sub, set your speakers to small on the receiver and subwoofer to yes or on. Then get AVIA or Sound and Vision Home Theater tune up, and a radio shack SPL meter and go to town with the test tones and meter.

3. Andrew:S

I tried plugging it in to subwoofer out on the NAD and RCA in on the sub but it wouldnt play on DVDs, but when i plugged it from DVD player to sub it worked fine. Do I go receiver > subin > subout > DVD?

If so, will the sub work on my xbox?

Where do I get AVIA sound and vision HT tune up?

4. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

there should be a sub pre out on your receiver. Hook that up with a subwoofer cable(or just an RCA cable) to your sub's out RCA connector. Yes it would work with Xbox

5. Andrew:S

OK i plugged one end of the sub cable into the sub preout1 on the receiver and the i plugged the two connectors on the other end to the subs out. Still no sub with DVD player. Should i post a pic of the back of my receiver?

6. Ryan Leemhuis

two connectors!? I am confused....ONE connector should go to the preout....the other to the Sub...thats it....also...what methods are you using to hook up your dvd to the receiver

7. Andrew:S

Ok, on the back of the sub there are 4 holes, 2 white, 2 red.

One set of red/white is IN, the other OUT.

I have the DVD hooked up with component cables to the receiver and then red/white RCA cables to the DVD input on the back

8. Ryan Leemhuis

post a pic of your receiver and back of your sub and I will try to help you. Or maybe someone else is more familiar with this setup

9. Andrew:S

ht tp://ww w.iupload.net/042004/tight%20006.jpg
    ht tp://ww w.iupload.net/042004/tight%20005.jpg

copy+paste into address bar

10. Ryan Leemhuis

it find either even tho I took out the spaces...

11. Andrew:S

try now

12. Ryan Leemhuis

I must admit that I really don't know what to do here. I am use to there being a sub in on the sub. But I don't know what to do with there being L/R inputs. There is no other inputs on the back? PS...isn't there instructions?

13. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

just use one or the other (or both) of the sub's "LOW LEVEL", "IN" inputs and disable the sub's crossover

RTFM and read THIS, too

14. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

ok, you need 1 RCA wire (female on both ends) one end should be plugged into the SUBW1 on you NAD and the other side of the wire should be plugged into the white "in" on the sub.

15. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The best advice so far. Andrew, you really should check out your owner's manual for the NAD receiver. The manual should list the steps for connecting your subwoofer. My guess is that something is being over-looked, such as telling the receiver that you have a subwoofer. It's hard to tell what setting NAD shipped the receiver with, but, they probably specified "None" for the subwoofer and might need to turn it to "Yes" or something like that. This is essentially what Tim told you up in the first response to this thread.

16. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

In addition, it sounds like Andrew has the DVD hooked up using only an analog (red and white) connection. In order to get real Dolby Digital, he must use the digital connection between the Xbox and the receiver. I believe the Xbox uses optical, so he needs one of these. He must also turn the sub on at the receiver, as noted.

17. Chris Grillo

Chris Grillo Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,
    I see a few things wrong. first I would not run your sub with the ss filter in the bypass position(it will increase the chances of your sub bottoming out) set it by the book( if you are running it with no port blockers then it should be set to 25hz. If you have 1 port blocker in set it to 20hz. if you have 2 port blockers in set it to 16hz.) Next I would let your rec. do all the bass management and I would put the crossover to the highest setting (120hz) or I would disable it! Next on your receiver to see how to set all your speakers to small and the sub to yes and start with a 80hz cross over. Also it doesn't look like you have your dvd players digital out running to your receiver you should be using that audio connection so you can get true Dolby digital sound. Next you should take one rca cord and plug one end into the receivers sub out and plug the other end into the low level (in) white or red on the sub.

Let us know if you need more help. this sould get you started. by the way you really should read all of your manuals.

18. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

There may be some cable issues as well. Don't some sub cables come with a split (built in Y adapter) end? If your sub cable has one plug on one end and two plugs on the other end, thie may be the case. Just make sure either way that you have the cable goin from:

Receiver SUB OUT (subw1 on yours)
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    Subwoofer Low Level IN (use one or both depending on the cable you have)

And make sure the receiver is set to 'yes' or 'on' for subwoofer as stated above.

19. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

20. Ryan Leemhuis

but analog should still output to the sub. I currently have this setup used for my Gamecube and I can use PLII or stereo and both use the sub