new to Subs - best one around $250?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

finally getting the h**l out of my apartment, where my neighbors didn't even like my 5.1 setup WITHOUT a subwoofer. now i'd ready to buy one...

with tons of moving costs i can't quite swing the $500+ it will take to get some of the subwoofers I see mentioned around here alot. Is there any good Sub i can get for around $250?

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 75, by the way.

thanks

2. Sean Patrick

oh and by the way, while I normally shy away from buying stuff like this from best buy/circuit city, etc, I'd actually prefer buying from a brick and mortar since i'd lke it asap and want somewhere i can exchange it easily.

thanks

3. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

Best buy has the sony WM40 for 199, I have seen it shipped online for 163. Pull the driver off and stuff the box with PolyFill and it is rumored to be your best value under 300.

4. Ten_Smith

Ten_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Acoustic Research Subs can be had at Accessories4Less.com for $150 for the low end model to $250. I just bought from them and the customer service was good and shipping was rapid.
    http://www.ac4l.com/
    Acoustic Research is a respected name, and the AR-15 has gotten some good reviews. I'm not aware of reviews of the sub-woofers.
    Clearly, the Sony WAMF40 is the most popular

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Sean,

Ever thought about building your own? It'll easily best anything you could buy upwards of $1K.

Brian

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I second Heaths recommendation for the Sony WM40. I have it and I think its great. I got it from Sears with a price match from www.etronics.com for 129.99. Can't beat it.

7. Sean Patrick

thanks for all the info guys...i will check out that Sony and the Acoustic research subs...don't have enough time to build my own, maybe in the future :)

anyway, i have heard about people taking out the driver and stuffing their subs - what should i stuff it with?? is this a good idea?

8. David B O

David B O Auditioning

Any thoughts on the difference BTW the AR 8 inch on ac4l.com and the JBL PB10? I have the NSP-1 setup for my surrounds. I"m leaning towards the JBL.

9. Rand

Rand Supporting Actor

I recently bought an AudioSource SW15 for my secondary system upstairs. It's used for music only up there. I feel it's at least as good as the Sony, possibly better. It has a 15" driver with a 200w power supply. It can be had for $199 shipped from Amazon.

10. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Go to a crafts store (or Walmart) and get some polyester batting (typically used to stuff pillows). Stuffing fools the driver into "seeing" a larger enclosure than there actually is. For sealed designs, this is usually a good idea (in moderation). I forget how much is appropriate for the Sony... search the forum to find out more.

11. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered the PB12 for $278 shipped, will be here Monday. Got that along with the NSP1. Can't wait to here them. The PB12 fit my price range and when I heard it, it sounded good. Plus I did read several post and reviews that for a lower priced sub it is pretty decent.