What's new

New to RPTV scene. Question on bars (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I'm new to the scene with a Panny 47". With movies that are widescreen yet don't fill the whole screen(black bars top and bottom), is it best to zoom to fill or just watch with bars. I've set my contrast/picture levels down the moment I turned on the set. Thanks for any info.

Kevin

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Michael,

Thanks for the info. Question. How oes one become ISF certified?

Kevin

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Michael trained and worked and practiced a long time under official, expert supervision. Also putting in a vote for widescreen, sir. Never deviate from the OAR, be it Academy Ratio or Super Panavision. Adjust your white and black levels appropriately.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I have yet to encounter a client's TV with DVD black bar burn in ...

Keep the contrast down at 30% range and you will have little to worry about.

Stay away from 4:3 mode for satellite/cable though ... bad.

ISF certification is the easy part. Take the two day seminar that the ISF offers ...

Now you know the basics ... very basic stuff. Everything else you have to figure out on your own. That's what makes it so rewarding.

Some/many ISF students make the mistake of thinking that all it takes is a two day course and they are ready to roll in the dough $$$$$ ... if only it were so easy. Even scarier when they compare themselves to the established calibrators and yet have no clue about all the other stuff they need to do as well.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks