What's new

New to Projectors (1 Viewer)

jdiddy

Grip
Real Name
Justin Reaves
I would like to first say thanks for reading my post. I wanted to know if anyone just uses their projector for just movies and or t.v to. I would like to get a projector instead of a tv and get like dish hd. I mean with bulb life and all do most people just use their projectors for just movies here and their or does it matter if you use it periodically here and their to watch t.v? I know some of the bulbs can get pricey but would like anyone's thoughts.

cheers

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
We just use our projector for DVD's and occasional HDTV(football games, HDNet Movies). Standard Definition TV looks bad on any projector. You'll need to do the math, guessing how many hours each week you'll use it, to see how long your bulb will last. An average bulb cost is $300.

dont even worry about bulbs or anything. 50% of the time when you buy a projector they toss in a second bulb anyways.. not to mention each bulb lasts like what 2000 hours? i know guys who have had their projectors 4+ years, use it for regular tv and are still on the first bulb. thats not the issue. As far as size/quality for the price nothing comes close to projectors as you can easily get 720i at 150 inches for 1000bucks. The only draw backs are whether your room is ideal for a projector or not. ceiling mount is ideal so your view isnt always getting blocked by people standing up. but you need tall enough ceilings for that. also, ambient light will hurt you. if this is going in a room with tons of windows your not gonna get the quality out of the picture during the day. but other than that, projectors are ten notches ahead of any flat screen tv.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
The only draw backs are whether your room is ideal for a projector or not. ceiling mount is ideal so your view isnt always getting blocked by people standing up. but you need tall enough ceilings for that.
I am considering a projector as well. Ceiling-mount would probably be my only option. My ceiling is a 7.5 foot drop ceiling, so I would be able to mount the projector right up next to it. Is this tall enough? If the screen gets blocked a little when people stand up, I can live with that.

Thanks

TicoTVA

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto
I once had a used projector still on its first bulb and it lasted me 2yrs for regular viewing.

Marc_Sulinski said:
The only draw backs are whether your room is ideal for a projector or not. ceiling mount is ideal so your view isnt always getting blocked by people standing up. but you need tall enough ceilings for that.

it will work yes, unless your projector is quite aways away from from your screen (the farther back the projector is the lower its going to be shooting the image) all projectors have different ranges of where they can shoot, while two different brands can have exact same specs as far as brightness and resolution goes your going to be stuck choosing on the brand that has the throw range ideal for your room. Heres a calculator to determine how far your projector needs to be from its screen. if you have a large room when easy mouting options then you have a larger variety to choose from. the room i have is only 12 feet long, and the projector i have is a hd72 which gives me about a max screen size of 95-98inches.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

Your other option besides setting the screen on the ceiling is to have it on the floor or on a table. here is a pretty in depth guide how determining how big of a screen you can get with your room size.
http://www.theprojectorpros.com/lear...ter_setting_up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks