New to Projectors

Discussion in 'Displays' started by IanHummel, Sep 11, 2005.

1. IanHummel

IanHummel Auditioning

I'm new to the whole projector scene and had a couple of quick questions.

Let's say I have an HD box from time warner, would I just run the component cables from the HD box directly to the projector and receive a HD quality projection on the screen? In order for this to happen, does the projector have to just be HD ready?

I've read that a DLP projector will provide a smoother image, and a LCD will provide a crisper image, but with some pixalization.

I'm looking to move into a new place soon and am very interested in purchasing a projector that can display HD quality images to watch sports on. Any additional information that you all could give me would be excellent.

Thanks,
    Ian

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    OK, it looks like you are in the market for a projector that can display 1280x720 as a native resolution. There are a handful of decently priced units in this arena, the most popular being the Panasonic L700, Sanyo Z3, and a few others that can be recommended here. Also, there is the popular Infocus 4805 which displays at a slightly lower resolution but with decent results.

What is your budget? Also keep in mind that there are new models being announced soon as well.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Yes, you run the component cables from HD box to the projector. You need to try to view a DLP and LCD projector to see which type you like better.

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Better than decent I would say. It looks like real HD even though some pixels are missing. If the budget won't allow a 1280x720 machine, then the 4805 is an option. Sports look great.

5. IanHummel

IanHummel Auditioning

As far as pricing goes, I need to stay right around $1,000. What exactly is the difference between the two resolutions? I noticed the 4805 is about $800 or so and the others that were mentioned in this thread were about double that.

Ian

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

>>> what is the difference in resolution
    THe theoretical picture quality is on a continuously sliding scale where the more pixels (up to 1920 x 1080 maximum) the better the HDTV quality.

There are a number of XXX x 540 or even XXX x 480 projectors that are HD ready. The greater the projector's native resolution, the better it will reproduce HDTV shows although 720 x 480 is enough to reproduce DVD to it maximum.

In order to actually show HDTV, the projector needs at least 1280 x 720 resolution and also must not have scaling electronics so poor as to treat 1080i shows as having only 540 unique scan lines.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

7. IanHummel

IanHummel Auditioning

Allan,
    So with that being said, what projector would you rec. that isn't overly expensive, that will indeed show all the HD programs in decent HD and where is the best place to purchase them? I want to stay as least expensive as possible, but still maintain good HD quality. Anything around $1,200? If not, then what's the price range the players your talking of run?

Ian