What's new

New to projectors need some advice on them & a screen. (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jim Mcc said:
I asked Boots twice what the projector budget is, and for whatever reason he hasn't told us. :confused: It's impossible to recommend a projector without knowing budget, throw distance, and desired screen size. It appears he's set on 120" diagonal, but throw and budget keeps changing.
I'm ignoring his budget entirely and working on the assumption that, with this room, it is going to cost a minimum of $2500.
He can buy a $1200 projector and $200-$400 in paint/screen and another $500-$800 making that work...
or...
He can buy a $2000 projector and a $300-$500 screen and be done with it, period.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Jim Mcc said:
Pan. AR100U - would not be bright enough with that long throw distance
Acer 9500 - would work, but on the borderline for brightness. I wouldn't do it.
Epson 3010 - No. The furthest back the lens could be from screen is 18'-9"
If you want to mount on rear wall, we're back to square 1 again.
I meant build a shielf right behind the couch like up against it. That would put the projector about 14ish ft from the viewing wall.
The back wall is a door and a window. I have about 20 3/4" to the top of the door from the celling. Which is center of the celling of course.
So 16:9 is a bad choice of format to get?
For budget on projector lets stay around 2g's for projector & screen

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
16:9 is not a bad format.
When I design theater rooms...
1. They are typically purpose built.
2. Typically very little, if any, TV watching is done...
A projector is not the best choice for 4hr a night TV viewing. And, if you watch 8hrs each weekend...
You are buying a bulb...once a year.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
schan1269 said:
I'm ignoring his budget entirely and working on the assumption that, with this room, it is going to cost a minimum of $2500.
He can buy a $1200 projector and $200-$400 in paint/screen and another $500-$800 making that work...
or...
He can buy a $2000 projector and a $300-$500 screen and be done with it, period.
I hear ya on the 4hr a day thing. Although I would like to watch a football, hockey, motogp race from time to time.
As for budget let's do 2g's for projector & screen.
If I do the 16:9 for $200 that leaves $1800 for a projector.
I don't want to paint anything. I will most definitely put up blackout curtains. Will live theme out of the budget.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Boots Rojas said:
I meant build a shielf right behind the couch like up against it. That would put the projector about 14ish ft from the viewing wall.
The back wall is a door and a window. I have about 20 3/4" to the top of the door from the celling. Which is center of the celling of course.
So 16:9 is a bad choice of format to get?
For budget on projector lets stay around 2g's for projector & screen
I think a shelf behind the couch is a bad idea, an accident waiting to happen.
16:9 is what I recommend.
The fan remains the biggest problem with the room. Can it be installed as a ceiling hugger? I think most fans allow you to do that. That would bring it up a few inches closer to ceiling, and a little more out of the way. Did you say the center of fan is about 11' from screen wall?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think the reason he is hung up on a shelf built from the floor as he is worried about getting power/signal to it.
http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transmitter-Streaming-Satellite-NPCS549/dp/B009E6R89C/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356045539&sr=1-9&keywords=wireless+hdmi

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Jim Mcc said:
I think a shelf behind the couch is a bad idea, an accident waiting to happen.
16:9 is what I recommend.
The fan remains the biggest problem with the room. Can it be installed as a ceiling hugger? I think most fans allow you to do that. That would bring it up a few inches closer to ceiling, and a little more out of the way. Did you say the center of fan is about 11' from screen wall?
Yes about 11' is correct.
Was thinking a heavy duty shelf/component rack.
Not sure about the fan.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What about this...and then just attaching a platform to hold the projector...
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-170SET-Ceiling-Spring-Loaded/dp/B001GCUN6M/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356045677&sr=1-13&keywords=bogen+pole

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
By the way my couch is kinda low I just did a ruff measurement setting down & it was like 45" from floor to the top of my skully

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Boots Rojas said:
No not really. Dont really even use this space much. That's why I would like to switch it up so that I would want to use it.
What about something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Elt954-60-inch-Extra-Audio/dp/B0009EQ5DS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1356047501&sr=8-3&keywords=extra+tall+component+rack
The only thing I don't know is if the 5' height is high enough to shoot the image over the people's heads sitting on the couch. It seems like it would be OK, but you should have the tallest person in your family sit, and measure from floor to the top of their head.
The next problem is how are you going to hide/cover all the cables and speaker wires on the floor?

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
schan1269 said:
The projector really needs to be more toward the top of the screen...hence, why we keep bringing the fan up.
Gotcha,
Well it's always something I'm finding out

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't think the 5' height of that cabinet is tall enough(Even with a projector with lens shift). I've never owned a projector with lens shift, so I may be wrong though.
Again, I would remove the fan and mount projector on the ceiling.
If you don't want to do that, another option is to use a table, with a low shelf, in front of the couch. The projector would sit upright, and shoot the image upward to the screen. BUT you still have the problem of what to do with all the cables and speaker wires.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Jim Mcc said:
The only thing I don't know is if the 5' height is high enough to shoot the image over the people's heads sitting on the couch. It seems like it would be OK, but you should have the tallest person in your family sit, and measure from floor to the top of their head.
The next problem is how are you going to hide/cover all the cables and speaker wires on the floor?
I would most likely have directv come out and put in a new outlet near the window wall and then run everything under the couch to the compent rack.
Didn't say it had to be pretty just functional :cool:
Thats what I've done fore the 2 rear speakers. Ran the speaker wire under the couch to the wall then under the baseboard to the reciver on the front wall.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you want to do something totally industrial...stack three of these right where you want to put the projector....put all your stuff in it...
http://www.chiefmfg.com/Products/NG1F3633 (three nets you 7 feet in height)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks