What's new

New to projectors need some advice on them & a screen. (1 Viewer)

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Seating would be close to 13' from the wall. The ceiling fan that will be removed for a power outlet is 11' ft from the wall.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I will "somewhat" disagree with Jim here... Seating distance is like everything...everybody has an opinion.. I set up my main theatre based on a "split" of "double the height of 2.40:1" and 30 degrees off 16:9. In other words... I'm not close enough for 2.40:1...and too close for 16:9...but I'm only 1.5 feet from proper 2.40 seating...and 3 feet closer than 16:9. And to boot...my screen sizes are DIFFERENT for 2.40 and 16:9(cause they will be...)

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
I actually moved the couch back to the position where it will be. It's a over sized couch that will seat 6 adults comfortably. It has a slight curve to it. At the ends it was around 13.5' & the center a little over 14' I did leave about 3" I could go to the column

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Harman Kardon- AVR 1700  Worth the $200 compared to what I already have or just hold off & save up for something else later down the road?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That depends on your ears. The only "performance" difference is how much less power the 1700 chews off the wall. Besides, $200 can be spent as a stop-gap till you decide if you want/need neight/width, 2nd zone, pre-outs, ipod/ipad/droid support, HDMI standby passthrough or any of the other hundreds of features out there.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Neight/Width? Don't need 2nd zone or standby passthrough. Although I think pre-outs would be a good thing to have.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Height/Width...look up... Dolby ProLogic IIz (found in "pretty much everything" once you hit a certain price. I think this year, even HK is going to jump on the IIz train) Audyssey DSX Yamaha Presence (Yamaha has decided to play nice, on some models, with DPL IIz. Yamaha came up with the idea first, ages ago, and also has "rear presence" where you can have 11.1) Width, for the moment, is an Audyssey thing only...meaning you have to buy a Denon/Marantz or Onkyo/Integra. I'm not even sure NAD has DSX.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
These receiver manufacturers are getting ridiculous with the 9 channel and 11 channel systems. You need a HUGE room to take advantage of any of these. There's barely any material out there for a 7 channel system for goodness sake!!:confused. Where will it end? 15 channel? 21 channel? :confused:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jim Mcc said:
These receiver manufacturers are getting ridiculous with the 9 channel and 11 channel systems. You need a HUGE room to take advantage of any of these. There's barely any material out there for a 7 channel system for goodness sake!!:confused. Where will it end? 15 channel? 21 channel? :confused:
Haven't been to an Atmos movie yet...have you?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
schan1269 said:
Haven't been to an Atmos movie yet...have you?
No. I hate going to the theater.I went to the theater a few days ago and saw "Lincoln". The last movie I saw in the theater was when "Seabiscuit" came out. I never even heard of Atmos. I'm referring to having a 9 or 11 channel sysyem in the home though, not in a theater.

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
What about Yamaha RX-V363 pre owned for $75? Would it have enough juice to push my speakers?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Remind us again, what speakers you have? 216 posts is a lot to sift through... The 363 only pulls 240 watts from the wall, so if you have decently efficient speakers (>90dB) you would probably be OK...

Boots Rojas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Boots Rojas
Fronts Infinity SM 155 Center Infinity Aplha 37c Rears Infinity Alpha 25es Sub Infinity Alpha 1200s

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Well, I wasn't able to find any "official" documentation online, but I did see some indications that the mains have a 102dB sensitivity and the center is upwards of 92dB so based on that, I would say that you'd probably be just fine with the 363... but again, that's not "official", so YMMV. Heck, at $75 the risk is pretty low, and it will certainly do the job as a stopgap solution for the time being.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks