What's new

New to projectors...any tips or advice? (1 Viewer)

MarcusDiddle

Stunt Coordinator
I'm moving soon into a house that I've already put an extensive amount of work into the basement. It's fully prepped for a home-theater. Problem is, my 34" Wega just isn't gonna cut it in that big room. So I'm looking into a projector instead. I'm new to projectors, and have no idea what I should be looking at first. Price is gonna be a factor; would like to keep it under $1500, but don't know if I can get a quality projector for that price. Any more than that and I might as well go with a rear-projection LCD. What are your thoughts? Any advice is appreciated!

James Phung

Second Unit
What is your seating distance, room size, how big of picture do you want, and do you prefer DLP or LCD or does it not matter? What do you plan on watching most percentage wise? DVD? HDTV? Gaming?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For that price you may be eligible for the Sanyou Z2, Panasonic 700, or the Infocus 4805.

Dave, how about providing a possible solution/answer too rather than a quick re-direct? After all, you are here!

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
Go to Projectorcentral.com
There's lots of information on individual projectors including throw distances and some good articles.
The Optima H31 comes to mind as a entry level projector as well.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I'm thinking about buying a projector sometime in the next 6 months. Around the same price range as the OP, though might be willing to go up to $2000. I know DLP is better for things like black level and contrast, but I'm worried I'd be one of those people who can see rainbows... I was watching a movie on a small projector which I think must have been DLP, since there were a lot of rainbows present. Don't know what projector it is. I'd also like something capable of true high def, so at least 720p. I know that is rare in this price range. I think the Panasonic AE700U is about the only one I've seen that supports that resolution.

Projector would be in a multipurpose type room in my apartment. Main area holds living room and kitchen area, though the blinds do a somewhat decent job of keeping light out, there is enough that comes in that it's easy to see during the day, with the blinds shut.

I have a white wall I could use, but would probably buy a screen as long as it wasnt more than a couple hundred dollars.

I also just made an account at avscience, so I'll be reading that forum too... only thing I see there I don't like is they don't allow people to talk about good places to buy, or street pricing (I assume this is because avscience is also a retailer?).

Brian

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Great advice!

I stayed away from DLP for concerns that my wife is very sensitive to visual anamolies. She felt strain and got a headache from 15 min of watching a DLP-based rear projection TV. There is a bit of debate over the % of people who have problems with DLP. Estimates range from single digits up to 25%, with some acrimony between adopters of the different tech. If you can get a chance to try one out, it would be a good idea. All of the above are great options. With a bit of a price stretch, you might consider the Sony HS51, which has some contrast advantages over other LCD PJ's. Not sure what street price is on it right now, but might be under $3k.

Good luck! You're gonna love it!

Gordon

PS: Go ahead and get whatever you want to now. If the bug bites, you'll probably upgrade in a few years anyway with the evoloution going on with PJ tech.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
A large LCD for $1500? How about a rp crt, instead? Arguably, you get a better picture anyway. Panasonic PT-53x54 is at your price point, from Sears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks