What's new

new to pc world,need some help. (1 Viewer)

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
hi all, just sold my imac and built a pc this past week.it is my first windows based machine and am a little leary coming from a mac background and always hearing about all the problems involved with a pc.
i am running windows xp pro.
i am looking for good links to websites/forums with good info and software(shareware,utilities...).
if any of you are switch hitters can you reccomend any programs like-meteoroligist(temp. shown on menu bar),net monitor(up/down activity of i.p.),ptcph monitor(graph of processor).
would also like any tips on anything to look out for, or set in preferences,basically must do's and don'ts.
any help appreciated.
hwshi
if this helps here are my specs.
pentium4 2.0 ghz 512k
ati radeon 9000 pro
sb live 5.1
512 ddr ram

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
damn that was fast.
thanks T, that's what i am looking for.
and i also forgot to ask about monitors,i had originally bought a second hand one from a freind but wasn't happy with the p.q. and found the font to look like crap.
so if anyone has suggestions for a monitor in the $200-500 canadian price range fire away.and should i change the default font or setting to make it clearer.
hwshi

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
HW:
With LCD monitors bearing down on the market, you can actually get GREAT prices on CRTs.
I'd suggest a flatscreen CRT monitor - to paraphrase a certain Austin Powers villain, "ONCE YOU GO FLAT, YOU NEVER GO BACK!" :D
I have one, and it's OODLES better than its curve-screened CRT brethren. This one should suit you - $269.00 Canadian. :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
To display system info and stuff, i use a program called SAMURIZE (available at http://www.samurize.com ) to display info i configured into the program, but its kinda confusing to setup at first:

As for the system temps, i use VCOOL, available at http://vcool.occludo.net/
It displays my system temp and CPU temp in the system tray:

But i just remembered its for AMD CPUs, oops... Im sure htere's something for Pentiums. BUt samurize also does display the system info.

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
brian, i will definitely check that monitor out today while shopping.although i'd like to avoid white/beige cases,which leaves me with black i guess.if someone in the pc world would figure out that design and function can work together they'd make a killing.
nick, thanks for the program tips. running a mac os/x theme?or are you trying to make me homesick?
i'd like something like samurize but that runs in the tool bar like vcool .

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
:laugh: Haha sorry, i thought i kinda saw some irony when making the screenshots... I have an OSX theme for WinXP :D
Actually, in WinXP, if you press CTRL+ALT+DEL then minimize it, you can see a bar graph of the CPU usage in the system tray

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
excellent nick,that's the kind of neat little things i need to learn about:emoji_thumbsup: .any way of getting something like that put for network traffic?to truly enjoy os/x you have to be on a mac,that's sacrilegious what you are doing there nick!
brian i ended up picking up the nec monitor in black.
keep the tips coming!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
As far as 17" monitors go the Samsung 763DF was on sale at FS for $190 after rebate. Only problem for you was that the case was white.

Or for 19" displays check out the Samsung 955(I think)

Sharp, clean, and cheap.

Brent

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hehehe... I am thinking of getting an Apple notebook maybe when i go to University next year. Im just wondering if they make MSN Messenger for OSX :D

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
is that sarcasm,hard to tell on-line.if you're honestly asking yes,and it looks better than the windows' version but isn't as versatile.however ichat rules,that's one sweet I.M. program,unfortunately it only works with .mac accounts or aol,yuch.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
No, i wasnt bein sarcastic, im just thinking of what i could get... Hopefully my dad'll get one for me as a 'graduation present' :p)

hwshi

Stunt Coordinator
hope so for you nick,they're quite nice.my girlfriend has an ibook(ice baby).which helped me decide to switch since i can still get my mac fix.
happy new year!

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
HEY NICK...

Where did you get that OS X theme??

Looks neat... it would complement my winamp OS X theme nicely, plus I like the OSX look more than XP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks