New to Ogg Vorbis

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan_Lim, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

I decided to give Ogg Vorbis a try so I downloaded the encoder (GUI version) and encoded 2 songs at quality 5.

I then downloaded the latest version of Sonique as I understand it doesn't require a plug-in to play ogg files.

When I load the ogg files they don't play. However I have used Sonique to play wave and mp3 files no problem.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

Does anyone have an idea as to what I might have done wrong? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

2. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Use WinAmp. Version 2.80 or even the 3 (Which has many issues though) will play Oggs with no problem. I'm running v2.80 at home and at work and have most of my CDs converted to Oggs (Quality 4.5 at work and 8.0 at home) and thinks it's way better than MP3s.

Even at Quality 0 (That's an average bitrate of 64kbps) it sounds very good around that of 128-160kbps MP3s.

One thing to keep in mind, Oggs do take a little more CPU Power to decode, if you have a fast machine, it doesn't matter, but if you're one of those with old machines (Like P100s or something) you could have a hard time.

3. Mark Hsieh

Mark Hsieh Agent

I agree with Martin, download Winamp 2.80http://classic.winamp.com/
    Works flawlessly with OGG Vorbis (make sure you get the Full version, otherwise you won't have the support, not sure about standard though).

4. Allan_Lim

Allan_Lim Agent

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded the latest version of Winamp 2 and it played the ogg files no problem.